SASS Wire Forum

Richmond, VA. What to do there?

Greentop Sporting goods in Ashland is a must see. HUGE store, great selection and pricing. Firebirds in Midlothian is a great restaurant in the mid price range. Worth the visit.

2 hours ago, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

I’m traveling to Richmond next week and will have one late afternoon/evening there. Is there anything in particular that is a must-see?  Any restaurant recommendations?

Start with Hollywood Cemetery the burial place of two presidents and numerous confederate generals including Pickett and Stewart. The confederate White House and museum are always interesting as is the Tredegar Iron Works. There is history everywhere that you look  

The Southern Kitchen.  Best Chicken livers and collard greens I've had in a long time!  All made fresh from her grandmother's recipes.

5 hours ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

Just outside Richmond is the Cold Harbor battlefield. Also pretty neat. It's covered in forest now but the trenches are still visible in the ground.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Cold_Harbor

On a chilly fall day many years ago my wife and I were touring battlefields in that area and stopped at a visitors center to ask for directions to Cold Harbor. After getting directions we went out to the battle field. Shortly after getting there we were joined by the ranger who gave us the directions and he gave us a great private tour. It was greatly appreciated 

Richmond absolutely reeks of history. One day wouldn’t be nearly enough for me. I wouldn’t know where to start.

Archived