SASS Wire Forum

William Barclay Masterson

William Barclay Masterson

16 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Then keep the cases etc covered.

Don't put SASS or NRA and such stickers on your car..........

OLG

It never dawned on me until after a few times of loading and unloading my car in front of the apartment where I live. Although you can’t see what’s inside the locked boxes anyone looking out their windows or walking by my car can see I’m loading something important. I also think about this if I’m loading musical instruments in my car. 

Anyway, you’ve got a point about keeping a low profile by not drawing attention to myself. Maybe not dress in full costume till I get there.

WBM

On 10/15/2019 at 10:39 PM, levi littleton said:

I'd file an application and  just state the facts.  Th actual facts.  You are over 50/60/70.  You travel on weekends to various CA cities and neighboring States with over 3/4/5/ 6K $ ( pick a number)  worth of guns and ammo in you personal vehicle.  You make every effort to store and protect the cargo in  your personal vehicle but are leery of doing so unarmed in today's society.  You are well trained (and have CA approved training certs to accompany the app.)  and would like to carry a concealed weapon legally while  making the trips.

Worst  he could do is say no.  But the application sure puts him and the local SO on notice that you thought you needed a concealed weapon to safely transport your weapons just to shoot in your local matches  and do  so safely.

I'd also fire off a personal letter to the Sheriff the day before I did the online application referencing you application and offer to meet with him to explain your situation.   You might be surprised by the results. 

I really like your suggestions - thank you. I’ll keep all this in mind if I ever go ahead with this.

WBM

14 minutes ago, William Barclay Masterson said:

I really like your suggestions - thank you. I’ll keep all this in mind if I ever go ahead with this.

WBM

I've lived in some pretty gun unfriendly states.   As a young man in my late 20s and for no more reason other than I wanted a CCW when they weren't generally issued I went that route and  much to my surprise was issued one.  Since then  when I needed the local Sheriff to sign off on something that could be equally politically unpopular I made an appointment with the Sheriff and expressed my desires in person.  Never been turned down.  A hand shake and eye ball meeting goes a long ways no matter where you live.   I like to think that every vote counts and the Sheriff gets elected by people just like you, me and them.   

On 10/16/2019 at 7:39 AM, Captain Bill Burt said:

This! Reminds of when I got pulled over on my way to a match back in January and the inevitable question ‘Do you have any weapons in the car’ came. My response, ‘yes’, then his ‘where is it’ then my laugh ‘it?, try they,’ four in the trunk and two up front with me

When Kay Sadeeya & I load up for a match, we have at least 10 firearms in the truck...2 of which are always loaded & accessible...but then any time we go anywhere, those 2 are loaded & accessible.

I jokingly tell her every time we load the truck that we would make a helluva news story - "Couple with several firearms & hundreds of rounds of ammunition...".

Holler

How many times have you stopped after a match and had a late lunch, earlier dinner with folks?

How many times have you stopped for lunch with your shooting buddies after a range session? 

CCW seems prudent.

https://www.ajc.com/news/crime--law/38k-worth-guns-charity-cash-stolen-during-vehicle-break-ins/dSUKVQYPaDhLEXQO5c00kL/

If the Feds can't  keep them in a vehicle how the heck  are you gonna do it :)

https://www.guns.com/news/2018/11/30/m4-glock-stolen-from-atf-vehicle-in-oakland

Yup... USUALLY my taurus curve with viridian laser and light with a +1 mag in the gun and the regular 6 round mag on my belt loaded with buffalo bore 90gn JHP +P

if its a WB shoot, i just open carry my 1911 with match ammo loaded in it... 200gn rnfp@800fps+- should do the trick...

On 10/15/2019 at 7:22 AM, William Barclay Masterson said:

Yes, I understand about doing it lawfully. My question is more about what SASS people do.

I’ve considered getting a CA CCW for this purpose. CA is a may issue state. Without getting into details you must have a good cause reason to obtain one. About 1.6 million people live in my county with only 150 CCW permits issued. Have SASS people in CA been able to obtain one for this purpose, in the LA or San Francisco areas?

WBM

San Francisco has a city ordinance making it illegal to carry a concealed weapon, even if you have a CCWP.

Yes, I understand about doing it lawfully. My question is more about what SASS people do.

I’ve considered getting a CA CCW for this purpose. CA is a may issue state. Without getting into details you must have a good cause reason to obtain one. About 1.6 million people live in my county with only 150 CCW permits issued. Have SASS people in CA been able to obtain one for this purpose, in the LA or San Francisco areas?

WBM

San Francisco has a city ordinance making it illegal to carry a concealed weapon, even if you have a CCWP.

WBM

WBM

WBM

WBM

WBM

WBM

WBM

Sorry, when I hit the submit reply button, it said resubmit in 8 second & kept saying that. I hit the button several times & I guess it was submitting!

Archived