SASS Wire Forum

William Barclay Masterson

William Barclay Masterson

This may or may not be appropriate but I’d like to ask this question:

Do any members conceal carry when traveling to and from events? The reason I ask is because it makes me a little nervous traveling long distances to an event with a car full of weapons even if they are safely locked away. Maybe that’s just me and I’ll drop the subject if asked to.

WBM

I presume you mean SASS or other firearms related events. I would imagine the answer here for most people is yes unless you are traveling to or through a state that does not honor your CCW license. Might want to double check what states honor said carry license. 

6 hours ago, William Barclay Masterson said:

This may or may not be appropriate but I’d like to ask this question:

Do any members conceal carry when traveling to and from events? The reason I ask is because it makes me a little nervous traveling long distances to an event with a car full of weapons even if they are safely locked away. Maybe that’s just me and I’ll drop the subject if asked to.

WBM

Only if your State allows it!  Some of our 50 States are "may issue" locales where carrying concealed without a permit can get your guns impounded and you fitted for a pair of bracelets.  Know your State and Local laws.   When in doubt, have your guns in locked cases, and ammo separate from the guns.  Either in the trunk, or if an SUV, in the cargo compartment.  Laws in some areas might not even allow that.  Check the published laws first, before relying on what you many hear or see in online forums.

Yes, I understand about doing it lawfully. My question is more about what SASS people do.

I’ve considered getting a CA CCW for this purpose. CA is a may issue state. Without getting into details you must have a good cause reason to obtain one. About 1.6 million people live in my county with only 150 CCW permits issued. Have SASS people in CA been able to obtain one for this purpose, in the LA or San Francisco areas?

WBM

2 minutes ago, William Barclay Masterson said:

Yes, I understand about doing it lawfully. My question is more about what SASS people do.

I’ve considered getting a CA CCW for this purpose. CA is a may issue state. Without getting into details you must have a good cause reason to obtain one. About 1.6 million people live in my county with only 150 CCW permits issued. Have SASS people in CA been able to obtain one for this purpose, in the LA or San Francisco areas?

WBM

Good luck.  In a previous life I was stationed in CA.  The ability to get a CCW depended entirely on the political leanings of the sheriff in your county.  LA or San Francisco?  Snowball's chance in Hell.  But like I said, good luck. (Sincere.  Not sarcasm) 

P.S.  Publicly I can neither confirm nor deny that I legally carry 100% of the time. ;)

2 hours ago, Dantankerous said:

I presume you mean SASS or other firearms related events. I would imagine the answer here for most people is yes unless you are traveling to or through a state that does not honor your CCW license. Might want to double check what states honor said carry license. 

You presume correctly. It’s not a matter of crossing state lines, just within CA. 

I already have a non-resident AZ CCW which of course is not valid here. I honestly don’t know if getting one here is possible even for CA SASS members. The sheriff of these counties can simply say, “Change your hobbies and your and forget about SASS.”

WBM

Just now, William Barclay Masterson said:

You presume correctly. It’s not a matter of crossing state lines, just within CA. 

I already have a non-resident AZ CCW which of course is not valid here. I honestly don’t know if getting one here is possible even for CA SASS members. The sheriff of these counties can simply say, “Change your hobbies and your and forget about SASS.”

WBM

Where are you located?

Kern County, Ca. issues CCW with little hassle to it's residents.

OLG

When I travel I will have something either within reach or on my person.  I  check the laws of the state(s) that I'm traveling to or through.  My AZ CCW permit is recognized by most states west of the Mississippi. 

I  know that doesn't help with California. 

Good luck with your chase,

BS

Oh if only.  I live close to the Republic of New Jersey and I shoot there often.  I DO NOT carry when going into that place.  Also, Maryland is almost as bad.  Everything locked up in containers.

3 hours ago, William Barclay Masterson said:

Alameda county. Out of 1.6 million only 150 permits have been issued.

WBM

Not gonna happen for you pard, just sayin'.  I'd bet most of those permits are politically connected.  Move to the Sierras and you'd have a permit in short order.  Most if not all of the conservative counties will issue permits without much drama.

33 minutes ago, Jailhouse Jim, SASS #13104 said:

Not gonna happen for you pard, just sayin'.  I'd bet most of those permits are politically connected.  Move to the Sierras and you'd have a permit in short order.  Most if not all of the conservative counties will issue permits without much drama.

Yeah, I kinda figured as much.

Thanks, everyone for your feedback.

WBM

Tell ya what. Cal the local Police Dept. and ask for the paperwork for a CCW and see how far you get. My wife did this here in San Jose and the officer said there was no access to paperwork as the sheriff just does not issue permits. Last I checked Alameda County was no better.

34 minutes ago, Springfield Slim SASS #24733 said:

Tell ya what. Cal the local Police Dept. and ask for the paperwork for a CCW and see how far you get. My wife did this here in San Jose and the officer said there was no access to paperwork as the sheriff just does not issue permits. Last I checked Alameda County was no better.

You can do it online for Alameda CO. You have to have a very compelling good cause statement like you are being stalked or threatened, a business owner carrying large sums of money, a court official or judge.

There are about five counties in CA where it is next to impossible to get a CCW. Alameda is one of them.

Personally I feel uncomfortable carrying a car full of firearms and ammo. I wondered what other SASS member experiences have been and how they’ve dealt with it. 

Thanks again everyone. I appreciate your feedback.

WBM

25 minutes ago, William Barclay Masterson said:

Personally I feel uncomfortable carrying a car full of firearms and ammo. I wondered what other SASS member experiences have been and how they’ve dealt with it. 

Thanks again everyone. I appreciate your feedback.

WBM

What are you scared of?

Know the state laws for transportation and you'll be GTG if you're 

stopped for a traffic violation. 

OLG

I'd file an application and  just state the facts.  Th actual facts.  You are over 50/60/70.  You travel on weekends to various CA cities and neighboring States with over 3/4/5/ 6K $ ( pick a number)  worth of guns and ammo in you personal vehicle.  You make every effort to store and protect the cargo in  your personal vehicle but are leery of doing so unarmed in today's society.  You are well trained (and have CA approved training certs to accompany the app.)  and would like to carry a concealed weapon legally while  making the trips.

Worst  he could do is say no.  But the application sure puts him and the local SO on notice that you thought you needed a concealed weapon to safely transport your weapons just to shoot in your local matches  and do  so safely.

I'd also fire off a personal letter to the Sheriff the day before I did the online application referencing you application and offer to meet with him to explain your situation.   You might be surprised by the results. 

7 hours ago, William Barclay Masterson said:

You have to have a very compelling good cause statement like you are being stalked or threatened, a business owner carrying large sums of money, a court official or judge.

WBM

Or an anti gun politician or Hollywierd star.

On 10/15/2019 at 7:11 AM, Marshal Hangtree said:

I conceal carry every where I go, especially if I have cargo worth stealing.

This! Reminds of when I got pulled over on my way to a match back in January and the inevitable question ‘Do you have any weapons in the car’ came. My response, ‘yes’, then his ‘where is it’ then my laugh ‘it?, try they,’ four in the trunk and two up front with me

Here in the PRK, we do it differently...

I am told here in Sacramento, bad guys will target people leaving the indoor ranges and rob them of their safely-secured guns.

meme.gun.control.080.straw.california.concealed.carry.360.sfw.jpg

1 hour ago, bgavin said:

Thanks  - This exactly the kind of information I would need for a good cause statement, i.e., SASS enthusiasts have been victims of robbery when leaving events. I don’t know from your comment if that’s what you’re saying or that people leaving a range are at significant risk of being robbed. In any case this may be helpful.

WBM

On 10/15/2019 at 10:09 PM, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

What are you scared of?

Know the state laws for transportation and you'll be GTG if you're 

stopped for a traffic violation. 

OLG

I’m fine with law enforcement. It’s the risk of being robbed of several thousand dollars worth of fine weapons.

That’s all,

WBM

On 10/16/2019 at 9:31 AM, Joke 'um said:

A simple question about whether folks carry to/from matches turns into a bitch session about the vagaries of California's gun laws.  If you californicators would spend half as much effort preventing or overturning such laws, we wouldn't be constantly subjected to your whining about how tough things are in PRC.

It’s actually gotten better as there are now more CCW friendly counties here in PRC. But there are about five solidly liberal counties where the vast majority of voters elect sheriffs who reflect their feelings. If I lived just a few miles east or north this would be a lot easier.

WBM

30 minutes ago, William Barclay Masterson said:

I’m fine with law enforcement. It’s the risk of being robbed of several thousand dollars worth of fine weapons.

That’s all,

WBM

Then keep the cases etc covered.

Don't put SASS or NRA and such stickers on your car..........

OLG

2 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Then keep the cases etc covered.

Don't put SASS or NRA and such stickers on your car..........

OLG

That may be fine for some people but I’d feel exactly the same way if I had to carry large sums of money. If I’m held up at a gas pump or at a roadside rest stop I could lose anything in my car or on my person.

WBM

12 minutes ago, William Barclay Masterson said:

That may be fine for some people but I’d feel exactly the same way if I had to carry large sums of money. If I’m held up at a gas pump or at a roadside rest stop I could lose anything in my car or on my person.

WBM

Then I have to ask why you ever got into this game, if you're that worried? :huh:

OLG

Archived