SASS Wire Forum

Speaking of hats

Forty  Rod SASS 3935

A couple of years ago I found a really sad, ratty looking old Resistol hat in an antique store.  It fit my size 8 melon and, after looking it over closely, it seemed sound, just dirty and misshapen.  I gave $45.00 for it and the man who owned the store told me that a young lady came in with the hat and a story:  Seems her great grandpa bought the hat for himself as a Christmas gift in 1941, put it away on a shelf, and waited for Saint Nick.  A coupe of weeks later the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor and the man went down and joined the Navy.  He was sent to the Pacific and never came home.  The family never got rid of it and finally her mother told her to find it a good home.

I had it cleaned and re-blocked, then a lady shaped it further to my liking.  I wear it a lot and on my trip to Las Vegas this past week I went to a place called Arizona Charley's for breakfast.  I was waiting for some other folks when a lady walked over and asked me if I was Arizona Charley.  I laughed and told her that I was Arizona Tom but thanks for the compliment.  I later found a characterization of Arizona Charley and danged if that old fart isn't wearing my hat.

I have a dozen or more hats, four made by Bob "All Hat" Dumez (RIP) from California, some just right for Sunday-go-to-meeting or coronations. some for getting down and dirty, and some that aren't even western style, but this old black veteran is my favorite hat by a huge margin.  

The Randoph Scott Confererate grey that Bob made for me is #2.

1 hour ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Arizona Charley's for breakfast.  I was waiting for some other folks when a lady walked over and asked me if I was Arizona Charley.  I laughed and told her that I was Arizona Tom but thanks for the compliment.  I later found a characterization of Arizona Charley and danged if that old fart isn't wearing my hat.

This guy?

49383213_1423026193.jpg

I have an old Resistol that somebody gave my dad a few years before he passed. it needs some TLC and a new sweatband but there's nobody aound here that can do it.

37 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

I have an old Resistol that somebody gave my dad a few years before he passed. it needs some TLC and a new sweatband but there's nobody aound here that can do it.

D-J can do it, he’s done some nice hat rebuilding for me. You might call Smitty up in Fairplay at CMH he’s pretty good at restoring hats too.

4 minutes ago, Yul Lose said:

D-J can do it, he’s done some nice hat rebuilding for me. You might call Smitty up in Fairplay at CMH he’s pretty good at restoring hats too.

There used to be a good hat guy over in the next town but he pulled up stakes and headed south a few years back.

16 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Have you checked with C.J. Landers at Maverick Hat Restoration? he's in WV

5 hours ago, Charlie Plasters, SASS#60943 said:

Would that have been O'Farrells in Durango?

Yup.

1 hour ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Yup.

I have my dad's hat from him and my old Resistol that he modified for my and my "mountain man" hat. Heard he moved to New Mexico, maybe Sante Fe but died shortly thereafter. Great hats!

Archived