SASS Wire Forum

H & R 1873 45-70 cavalry carbine for sale

Irish Pat

Just a thot for anyone contemplating this item.

I have an H&R Trapdoor in the Officers Model (long barrel, tang sight) and it is not only a beauty but a great shooter.

Do not know about others but I am nervous putting a smokeless powder cartridge , or a black powder one for that matter,  into a century plus old gun.  Nice to know the cartridge is going into a modern-made rifle with better steel and closer tolerances than the originals.  Oh, those old Trapdoors were stronger than people think and were subjected to some rigorous tests ... and held up well ... but the metal in them, even the later models, is now at least 125+ years old.

Not an issue , assuming appropriate load data is used, with a modern-made rifle.

My 2 cents.

Fort Reno Kid

I recently acquired one of these. Put it through a test in the Tom Horn single shot category at Helldorado this year. It performed beautifully. Very accurate and really fast to load. Ended up even winning that category. A great and fun rifle. 

I was giving it serious consideration. I have an original 74 trapdoor carbine. Good shooter. I use it in plainsman matches. Kinda thinking I want to try Cody Dixon single shot, but I don’t want to shoot my original that much. Now I’m going to be looking for another H&R trapdoor! 

• 3 months later...

I make a load with 41 gr. of 2f  and shoot a H&R trapdoor Officers model - 300 gr acme coated bullet - it shoots a 4" group at 100 and a 

3'' group at 50 offhand  - it's a wonderful rifle-  H&R makes a great gun!

Riverdog

Been sold long time.  I still have Another just  like It I use in Cody-Dixon matches whenever I can.  I found that one for a friend that would borrow mine in primitive weapon deer season then backed out on paying me for it. Irish Pat

Archived