SASS Wire Forum

Taylor finish vs Cimarron finish on an 1873 Winchester...

LordAsh

Hey all!

Looking to pick up a Winchester 1873 lever action, and debating Taylor vs Cimarron.  I saw a review of the Taylor that said that the finish on the stock was a bit on the reddish side, rather than brown, when compared to the Cimarron..  Does anyone know if this is generally the case?

Thanks much!

Virtually the same, both made by Uberti, without the name on the barrel stamping you would not be able to tell them apart. I've had both.

TB

i've had 66's from both and like Turquoise Bill said. Both are made by Uberti and without looking at the names stamped on the barrels I couldnt tell them apart. both had a reddish hue IMO. As far as what's currently coming in from them I couldnt tell you. both of mine were made in the early 2000's

1 hour ago, Tyrel Cody said:

I'd personally go with Taylor's regardless of finish because of their  OUTSTANDING customer service.

^^^^^ This!

Howdy

First off, wood is a natural product, so the color can vary from stock to stock.

It is true that both Cimarron and Taylor's import Uberti products, and other than the name stamped on the barrel, they are identical.

What many shooters don't realize is that when they left the factory, most Winchesters had a red stain applied to the wood under the varnish. Most are used to seeing old guns where the old finish oxidized, or has been refinished. More of a brown walnut color is going to be present on an old gun.

This model 1873 left the factory in 1887. The old varnish wore off years ago and the wood was refinished with oil at some point. Hence the brown color.

187303.jpg

This old Winchester was refinished at some point, The wood was stained and refinished to resemble the way it looked when it left the factory. Notice how much redder it is. Pretty similar to the color of a new Uberti stock.

100779711_52105_461F48B97EF323D7_zpskecz

13 hours ago, Tyrel Cody said:

I'd personally go with Taylor's regardless of finish because of their  OUTSTANDING customer service.

This ^^^^^^^

Archived