SASS Wire Forum

Hold my beer and watch this!

Pulp, SASS#28319

Not stolen, I called it in to the Sheriff’s Office just in case.  An Oklahoma Highway Patrol officer came while I was still there. 
My wife’s boss saw it there yesterday PM, two guys with shovels were busy with shovels, but no success.

It’s on the Red River below Lake Texoma.  They need to get it out before the Corps of Engineers decides to let water out of the lake.

Some learn the hard way.

Well, despite all of the  "You can't fix stupid" and other negative comments regarding the driver of the Jeep, I will admit to having gotten a '77 Jeep Cherokee stuck far worse than that while out four-wheeling. Amazing what fun with friends (no alcohol involved, even!) can lead to. It would take a long while to tell the tale, but suffice it to say that @Charlie Harley, #14153 is right. A wrecker with a Looooooong winch cable can come in very handy. The question becomes whether one learns from their mistakes in that regard.

Come to think of it, I was in a HUMVEE that got stuck in Kuwait that required the same. I wasn't driving that time, though.

It happens more often than you think......

I know a guy who got a city electric department utility bucket truck stuck in about the same environment as the one pictured, one late Friday night. Not a large bucket truck but the type that you see cable TV guys using.

Yep he kept his job......

Also.......

I know a guy who took a county maintainer to his house to work up his roping arena and it broke down in the middle of it, just off a state highway where everyone driving by could see a piece of county-owned equipment on private property. It set in the arena for a week while waiting for parts.

He got kind of nervous during the wait but he kept his job.

That Jeep looks like a few vehicles I have seen stuck when I used to go off roading and trail riding. 

Things like that usually start off as a dare or someone bragging about the great feats “their” vehicle can do. :D

22 hours ago, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

Wrecker with a long winch cable is about the only option I see. 

There's a YouTube video of somebody who tried that with a Jeep Cherokee that got stuck in a muddy river bank. The cable was wrapped around the front axle. Only problem was, instead of a winch they attached it to another truck which yanked and slammed on the cable trying to get the Jeep unstuck. What ultimately happened is that they finally got the front axle unstuck, but not the rest of the Jeep. :blink:

In river bottoms such as pictured, the sand usually has water running through it and the vehicle will sink over time.  In a day we saw one go from the frame on the sandbar to the seats covered with sand. In a week it would be gone.

Inflatable jacks work wonders if you can get them in place soon enough.

22 hours ago, DocWard said:

Come to think of it, I was in a HUMVEE that got stuck in Kuwait that required the same. I wasn't driving that time, though.

I was in service when Uncle Sugar transitioned from the Jeep to the HUMVEE.  Our soldiers learned quickly that the HUMVEE was an improvement but still had limitations. 

On 10/14/2019 at 12:33 PM, Pulp, SASS#28319 said:

Stuck good!

EEBC589C-5928-4CE7-A8ED-3C8CD9C60BE8.jpeg

AD705995-E7DA-41D3-9764-09B381AA5E73.jpeg

There doesn't appear to be any tracks, it's been there a while. Maybe, Shelby Stanga can pull it out with his jet boat.

I had a very sandy deer lease once. Sand can be a witch.  Had to get unstuck out in the sticks a couple of times. My cousins stuck a WWII Willys crossing a creek there. Happily we were able to winch it out.

JHC

On 10/14/2019 at 12:55 PM, Pulp, SASS#28319 said:

Not stolen, I called it in to the Sheriff’s Office just in case.  An Oklahoma Highway Patrol officer came while I was still there. 
My wife’s boss saw it there yesterday PM, two guys with shovels were busy with shovels, but no success.

It’s on the Red River below Lake Texoma.  They need to get it out before the Corps of Engineers decides to let water out of the lake.

Put floaters on it and wait for the water....When it floats, pull it in....

Texas Lizard

Archived