SASS Wire Forum

When a receiver is not a receiver....

1 hour ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Look at Ruger 22 pistols.

The removable barreled section has the serial #. :wacko:

Not the firing mechanism that holds all of the 'controls' -_-

OLG

And the AMT Lightning had the s/n on the lower frame. I've heard rumors it was such a close copy of the Ruger, that the non-serial numbered AMT barrel assembly would fit, or was easily fitted to, the non-serial numbered Ruger grip frame assembly. I've never owned one, so never had an opportunity to try it.

Sounds like the law needs clarification, one way or the other.  The fact that Roh was selling completed guns to people prohibited from legally purchasing guns is bad news.  As far as I am concerned I don't care whether the AR-15 lower receiver is a firearm or not.  I don't own one and have no desire  to own one.  It does sound like BATF is exceeding its authority in what it is doing by changing definitions without following the legal procedires, but then what else is new?

When law enforcement and the department of justice pick and choose laws that they will enforce or not enforce we have a corrupt system...as if this is new...

Loophole LaRue,

Thank you for digging this up and posting the web link. 

It is a very informative article that I doubt very many people have read, or fully understand the ramifications of.    I am going to copy the  article and file it away. That link may not be good for very long,

Thanks again.

Cat Brules

On ‎10‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 11:43 AM, Trailrider #896 said:

Sounds like the law needs clarification, one way or the other.  The fact that Roh was selling completed guns to people prohibited from legally purchasing guns is bad news.  As far as I am concerned I don't care whether the AR-15 lower receiver is a firearm or not.  I don't own one and have no desire  to own one.  It does sound like BATF is exceeding its authority in what it is doing by changing definitions without following the legal procedires, but then what else is new?

The problem, as always, is that our fearless leaders enact laws without clear legal definition and it's left to ATF to somehow interpret and enforce those laws. It's like the NFA law that tries to define a pistol or long arm. You end up with AR "pistols" that are basically just short-barreled rifles without an actual stock on them, and when someone goes and puts an "arm brace" on one you have a..... pistol! Because after all, if it's not actually intended to be used as a shoulder stock then it isn't one, correct? That's how you end up with ATF ruling one way, then as soon as the political winds shift they suddenly cover their collective asses and rule the other way, like they did with bump stocks.

This is very interesting. I read the entire story and it seems that this all occurred over 4 years ago and is just now getting fleshed in the news.

When I first reviewed this article I skimmed through it and made the above comment, which I will leave as is. In rereading, or actually reading, this article a couple of things really stand out.

1. This guy pushed the envelope of legality and morality. He’s a dumbarse that should be slapped real hard and put in jail for a month with people like his clients. Maybe he’d remove his head from his butt. 

2. The BATFE has been using their reputation and authority to act under their own internal practices and not following the law. Of course, many of us have known they have done this for years, but now it’s “out there”.

3. I am sure this situation is the reason for the new law in CA regarding gun parts sales. 

My my biggest fear is that the knee jerk crowd will use this case to tighten their nooses just a bit more on our rights.

This case is an example of why I do not participate in the 80% lower fad that many of my friends and acquaintances like to dabble in. I cannot afford a legal team that rivals that of the BATFE or the CA DOJ. 

Call me a sheep but I like my freedom and I want to retire in comfort in 3 years, not be retired in prison or be destitute. 

If you want an AR15 that's not registered to you on a 4473, just buy one from an individual.  The ATF will never know you own it or where it is.  This only applies in states that allow this.  Those 80% lowers are more expensive than buying an Anderson lower already finished.  I just don't see the attraction.

13 hours ago, Badlands Bob #61228 said:

If you want an AR15 that's not registered to you on a 4473, just buy one from an individual.  The ATF will never know you own it or where it is.  This only applies in states that allow this.  Those 80% lowers are more expensive than buying an Anderson lower already finished.  I just don't see the attraction.

As I posted before, I neither need nor want an AR15! However, there are NO LEGAL private transactions in the People's Republic of Colorado anymore.  ALL guns must go through an FFL and Colorado Bureau of Investigation & NICS check.  The former is for any domestic protection/violence orders.  That was passed when an estranged husband kidnapped and murdered his two young daughters with a gun purchased legally a few days before, because domestic orders didn't have to be reported to the FBI or other agencies.  He then committed-suicide-by-cop by attacking a police station! :(

Archived