SASS Wire Forum

Multi caliber loops on rig

heckofagator

Hi, my pistols are 38 and the rifle I'm planning to get is 45 colt.  If the holster belt had 38 loops, i guess it would make sense to get 45 loops on the shotgun belt or bandolier (leaning towards the latter).  I think so but just wanted to check here, first.

There are times when you’ll need a rd or two for your rifle. At Comin at Cha there was a 10 + 1 rifle stg. I’ve needed a rifle reload due to jacking a rd out during a stg. Never have needed a pistol reload 

I shoot 32 in the pistols and 357 on the rifle.  I have separate loops for both.  Most of the time it's for rifle reloads which are every other match or so. 

I was running the timer once when the shooter had a Failure to Fire on one pistol.  He reloaded and save a clean match.  

After that, I keep both handy.

3 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Pistol and rifle reloads, ain't uncommon out here.

OLG

You got that right, Lumpster. Pistol reloads and rifle reloads need to be planned for. I have both in my bandoleer.

Heckofagator, if you don't have your rig yet, you could get .45 loops on the pistol rig, then lace a rawhide cord up one loop and down the next for a half dozen loops or so.  .38's will fit fine in those.  I've done that for years with a Mernickle rig.

Instead of getting cartridge loops sewn onto your belt, get a 2-loop or 4-loop slide from Mernickle (or your favorite leather maker). That way you can put the reloads where you want them and swap sizes as needed.

I have a belt with .45 loops, and a couple of holsters (for my 1851 conversions) that have .38 loops.  So in that respect I'm able to carry both (and know which one is which).    Only flaw with this plan is when I'm shooting .45 pistols and .38 rifle, then I have no .38 ammo on me.

If you put rifle reloads on your shotgun belt you need to really practice more than normal.

I say this because I can assure 12ga shotshells DO NOT FIT in a 44-40 rifle and without practice those are the first thing you'll grab. 

On October 13, 2019 at 5:46 PM, heckofagator said:

So are most people just getting the loops for looks?

I did.  If I had to do it over the loops would be for 12 gauge and I'd wear the belt with the buckle to the rear.

My Mernickle shotgun belt came with a (6 loop) bullet slide. I asked for one for 45s but they sent one made for 38s ...

It has elastic loops and I noticed that it accomodates 45s and/or 38s just fine.

I have one club locally that usually always has a stage at their annual where you shoot one revolver and then reload it on the clock.  

.45 loops, should also hold .38’s securely enough for CAS, when the need for extra “reload” ,38’s comes up. 

Mine do, anyway......ymmv.

Cat Brules

On 10/13/2019 at 10:49 PM, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

Heckofagator, if you don't have your rig yet, you could get .45 loops on the pistol rig, then lace a rawhide cord up one loop and down the next for a half dozen loops or so.  .38's will fit fine in those.  I've done that for years with a Mernickle rig.

Likewise.

Try putting the .38’s in without the rawhide strip laced through the .45 loops.  For CAS, .38 Specials are retained well enough in the .45 loops on my belt that they don’t get jostled out, but pull out easily.  Granted, this is only for CAS, and not for other carry.  Just a suggestion you may wish to consider and try.

Cat Brules

4 hours ago, heckofagator said:

What about no loops on the belt and all of the loops (38, 45 and shotgun) on a bandolier?

I have no loops on the gunbelt, just the R/P and SG loops on the bandoleer. Beware sticking .38/.357 in .44/.45 loops on the bandoleer if they are positioned on the down side, they won’t be there when you need them.

ive not really needed them yet but always thought that it was important to have , i tend to 45 colt in both the rifle and revolvers so i can get by with just the two sized loops but if i were to have a 38 in the match gun stable i would want them as well , as it is my only 38 is the BBQ gun these days 

while reloads are not common, they are out there depending where you shoot.  More common is jacking a live round out of your rifle requiring you to reload from your belt.  I recently got a brace of 45s, and jammed a 45 into two of the 38 loops, it can be done.  for matches where I shoot my 38s, hopefully I'll remember to take the 45s out...

• 2 weeks later...

I have main match guns in .38 spl, .44 mag and .45LC. Currently my favorite combination is .44 mag "Original" Vaqueros and a .45LC Uberti M73. My web belt holds 22 rds of .44 while a 5 rd slider worn on my right hand strong side in front of the holster has .45LC .

Archived