SASS Wire Forum

question for hunters about knives

The Shoer 27979

My daughter started hunting a couple years ago, and i want to get her a good hunting/camp knife and a good skinning knife  for Christmas.

i picked up a bench made skinning knife the other day.  I have had their pocket knife for a couple of years and always sharp and retained the finish so I figured the skinning knife will do as good.  my other brands kept getting dull.  

Howdy,

Puma White Hunter.

Sometimes on ebay pretty cheap??

I like those white ceramic stix for sharpening.

And a filet knife is good to have around, too.

Best

CR

Grip feel is extremely important; it must feel good to her and allow her to control the edge.  It doesn’t have to be a sword either- 4 to 6” blade is plenty.  Good quality folders can do the job, so don’t rule those out. Take her to a store that offers a variety and let her choose. Don’t  go cheap.

edit:

OLG beat me to it!

Like OLG and J-Bar said, she needs to put her hands on ‘em to see what she likes. You could buy it for her after she picks one out. Make a day of it. :)

Check local laws for legal sizes if you are camping on public land.  I prefer a folder in camp where a hatchet is just 20’ away.  A heavier 3/4 to full tang sheath knife for hunting and skinning.  If you are field dressing with it, a rubber/non-slip material is important in warm, slippery blood.  If you are butchering a chilled carcass, the grip material is not as critical.  Plastic or kydex sheaths are a plus for easy sterilizing after the hunt.  

Buck Knives or Bear & Son are my go to for affordable domestic made hunting knives.  

What is the quarry is she after?  That will determine the blade shape and size.  EG. dressing out a squirrel requires a different blade than a deer or bear. 

Howdy,

You might be surprised what can get done with a real sharp 4 inch blade paring knife.

Best

CR

Different tools for different jobs, of course.

The knifes with the replaceable blades don’t look as pretty, but are very nice. One blade will last thru skinning out and quartering an elk. Real good for folks that aren’t that good at sharping up a blade 

2 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Like buying guns-Only she will know what fits HER hand and works for her.

Good outfit to deal with.........

https://www.bladehq.com/

OLG

Good company. They don’t kill you on the shipping costs. I use them a lot.

When skinning large game the knife will get dull quickly and requires sharpening throughout the skinning process. Regardless of the choice of knife make sure you include a good stone or carbide sharpener. A good hatchet is also handy.

Unless it just has to be new & really pretty one, I would look around for an older used U.S.A. Schrade Sharpfinger.

I see them on Craigslist & eBay or at gun shows & pawn shops.

The trouble with most knives is they are too big & unhandy. Not much call for a bison gutter these days.......

3 hours ago, sassnetguy50 said:

Check local laws for legal sizes if you are camping on public land.  I prefer a folder in camp where a hatchet is just 20’ away.  A heavier 3/4 to full tang sheath knife for hunting and skinning.  If you are field dressing with it, a rubber/non-slip material is important in warm, slippery blood.  If you are butchering a chilled carcass, the grip material is not as critical.  Plastic or kydex sheaths are a plus for easy sterilizing after the hunt.  

Buck Knives or Bear & Son are my go to for affordable domestic made hunting knives.  

What is the quarry is she after?  That will determine the blade shape and size.  EG. dressing out a squirrel requires a different blade than a deer or bear. 

Legal sizes what the hell is that?

10 hours ago, Charlie Plasters, SASS#60943 said:

Had a guy at the game processing plant tell me uses a broadhead sharpener on his knives. I tried it and it is a good choice.

Be careful of the angle. Some broadhead sharpeners put a 30 degree angle (60 degree inclusive) on each side. That is not enough angle for a hunting knife. You need more like  a 20 degree angle or 40 degree inclusive. 

14 hours ago, Assassin said:

When skinning large game the knife will get dull quickly and requires sharpening throughout the skinning process. Regardless of the choice of knife make sure you include a good stone or carbide sharpener. A good hatchet is also handy.

Using a stone to produce a new edge is time consuming and usually not necessary if one uses a steel to keep the old edge straight and centered.  Skinners, and everyone else  on a packing house kill floor,  stroke their blades across a steel frequently but may touch up the edge on a whetstone only a couple times a week.  And they are processing a lot of carcasses between using a stone to make a new edge.  Any good edge can get folded over easily, and a smooth steel is the quickest way to bring it back into cutting position.

Include a small smooth round steel with the new knife and she can extend the time intervals between using a stone to re-sharpen her kitchen knives too.

My wife bought me a Nolen many years ago.  That knife has probably gutted and skinned 25 deer.  Each of my sons was given one for a gift years ago and I give each of my grandson one as a gift.  They will be heirlooms and last many years.  https://www.nolenknives.org/

To answer a couple questions, she is only hunting deer right now but could start hunting other game later. I am slowly getting my knife making stuff back together ( use to make knifes years ago but seam to have forgot quit a bit so will have to relearn some stuff lol) as far as a steel and stone both will be sent with the knives. I have not hunted in at least 30 years and just do not remember ( again got to relearn some stuff) . All the knives I buy now days are plain (cheap)utility knives that if they get lost or broken but big deal.

Archived