SASS Wire Forum

Hello and Help?

Captain Curly Strait

Hello to All!  

I am what you might consider a "reload" to Cowboy Action Shooting.  Joined SASS in 2009, shot a few matches, then "had to hang up my spurs" due to work and family obligations.  Just renewed my SASS membership and started exploring the SASS Forums at the suggestion of my new shootin' partner in the CAS world.  I live in WI and will be shooting in WI, MN, and at least one match in ND next year.  Very happy to be back in the saddle. Wanted to introduce myself before I asked for a favor. 

That's the "Hello", here's the "Help".  I have an 1886 in 45-70 built brand, spankin' new in 1887.  It's mechanically sound, but its original lumber has passed on.  I have begun fitting a replacement stock set, but cannot find a crescent buttplate for the "early" model 1886 anywhere, for love or money.  I have scoured the interwebs, finding replacements for the late models only.  My serial is 11405.

So, at the suggestion of my pard, I am reaching out to y'all in hopes of finding this crucial, but elusive butt-part.

Not sure how all this works, but I'll learn as I go, I 'spect.  I’m a gun guy, not a computer guy. Thought I should start here to let those smarter than me point me in the right direction. Thanks in advance for your advice, suggestions, your time, and knowledge!  Lookin' forward to showing' y'all how fast I can miss.

Most Respectfully,

Captain Curly Strait

Try Precision Gun Stocks 

Their website lists early ‘86 crescent butplates.  Oops!  They list early and late stocks - only late butplates.

https://www.precisiongunstocks.com/contents/en-us/d76.html

My sincere thanks to everyone who has replied!  I have tried Numrich, PGS, and a couple of dozen other online sources without success. Out of stock or out of production. Looking for an antique “take-off/salvage” one at this point.  

I don’t know how to post a picture, but I’ll attach a link to an early model stock I missed on eBay. Basically the tang on the early crescent buttplates is significantly longer than the later models, transitioning to the shorter ‘73 style somewhere between serials 60,000 and 90,000. My stock is cut for the original tang.

My thanks again to everyone for your suggestions and the warm welcome! And Imis, I’ve a bunch of good hats!  Thanks!

Here’s the link.  https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F202758405454

Please pardon my ignorance, but how do y’all IM someone who’s contacted you. I can’t find a tab or button or anything to respond to IM’s or an IM button/tab to send one. Again, please excuse my ignorance, I’m a gun guy; not a computer guy. 

Yours truly,

Curly

At the top of the page is a little envelope. click it. You will see a short list of the most recient messages. To see them all click go to inbox at the bottom of the window.

You message box is not very big. Once a conversation thread is no longwer needed you should delete it.

Archived