SASS Wire Forum

Really? In Chicago?

Lawdog Dago Dom

Fair is fair, and when I find something positive in the Windy City it deserves mention. Went to Chicago to see two of our sons. One is in marketing, the other, fresh out of the USAF landed a spot doing improv on stage at Second City. The boys could not wait to take me to this bar. "It's all cowboy stuff dad, you'll love it."

Thought I was being set up. But how right they were.

Carol's Bar is an oasis on Chicago's North Side. Good food too. Prices very reasonable for a big city. The band was the Bastard Sons of Johnny Cash. They were very good. They had a plastic gasoline jug on stage with a big opening for tips. Written on the jug was "Gas Money." Could not believe I was in Chicago listening to a steel guitar.

From Wikipedia: Bastard Sons of Johnny Cash are an Americana/alternative country band led by singer and songwriter Mark Stuart. The band formed in San Diego, California in 1995. They received permission to use Johnny Cash's name by Cash himself and were then personally invited to record songs for their first CD Walk Alone at Cash's home in Hendersonville, Tennessee. The Bastard Sons of Johnny Cash have opened for Merle Haggard, and Willie Nelson at his annual 4th of July concert, and shared the stage with such notables as Buck Owens, John Hiatt, Lucinda Williams, George Jones, and Steve Earle. Their music has recently found more exposure on the HBO hit television series True Blood and Joan of Arcadia, and their four albums have all spent time at the top of the worldwide Americana charts.

Second City show was very funny and sold out!

CarolsCowboy.jpeg

BastardSons.jpeg

1 hour ago, DocWard said:

Bah, not real unless they have chicken wire in front of the stage! :lol:

I was actually in Chicago during the filming of the Blues Brothers. I got to see part of the big chase scene with the Blues Mobile and dozens of police cars. Of course I saw it at 80 mph as they went by but it was very impressive. I doubt Belushi or Akroyd we’re behind the wheel though. 

Archived