SASS Wire Forum

Shotgun Shell Holders...

Quizcat

At the very begining of this thread, I commented that I believed that the rules prohibited bandoleers above the belly button,.  But, I was told to "read on," twice, implying that my interpretation that they are prohibited above the belly button isn't valid.  A bandoleer, according to the dictionary, is defined as a "belt."  The phrase "Combat style shotgun loops," is also referred to on page 3 of the handbook. I would like to point out that neither the term "Belt" nor "Bandoleer" is defined in Section 9 of the handbook.  If  a "bandoleer" is a "belt," as defined in the dictionary, and by it's very nature it's considered synonymous with "combat style," then why not say bandoleers are prohibited from being worn above the belly button, specifically by name, in unambiguous terms in the handbook?  Why all the convoluted phrasing?  The handbook is screwy, period, and it is in need of clarification.  And if I'm wrong, and bandoleers are acceptable to be worn above the belly button, then how does that square with the provisions on page 3 and 4 of the handbook?  I was just asking for clarification on a rule interpretation that isn't clearly and specifically stated with respect to bandoleers. 

SASS does not consider a bandoleer to be an ammunition belt in the same sense as the definition in a dictionary. It is perfectly legal to wear a bandoleer over the shoulder in one of our competitions. The ammunition above the belly button only applies to gunbelts and/or shotgun belts; which are not bandoleers. You can even put ammunition in a shirt or vest pocket and it is perfectly legal. As long as you don't secure a Bandoleer under another belt, or attach it somehow to your pants, then you are good to go.

Never mind Phantom, he expects elevated reading comprehension from everyone.

Check out Smokestack wearing a BANDOLEER:

1 hour ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Also, boots are worn on your feet...hats on your head...

Phantom

No reason to be that way....was it so dang hard just to answer the question?  I have never attended a competition yet, just a simple question.

34 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Not correct... Not accurate...

I expect more time spent reading the full content of the handbooks and going to the range than spent on the stoopid Wire.

2 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Apparently there is.

Leave it at that.

Phantom

Apparently there is.

Leave it at that.

Phantom

Apparently there is.

Leave it at that.

Phantom

5 minutes ago, Quizcat said:

Yes, I did, but I'm not the only one on here confused by the book.  Look, thanks for sending me answers, and I appreciated the photos, and the video.  I didn't need that kind of response, but I do appreciate it anyway.  AlI I asked for was a simple sentence, but I won't ask any more questions.  Try to understand that from a newbie's perspective, the handbook is lousy, as many have commented on here before.

Bandoleers, cartridge belts, and pouches must be of traditional design (e.g., bandoleers must be loose and not secured in any way to prevent movement). Modern drop pouches, combat style shotgun loops, wrist or forearm bandoleers, and such are not allowed. - Pouches shall have a flap and must carry their contents loose, with no special provisions to organize the contents for rapid retrieval. - Cartridge loops must not have a metal or plastic liner. However, the entire loop may be made of metal.

Ammunition required for loading/reloading during the course of any stage must be carried on the shooter’s person, in a bandoleer, cartridge/shot shell belt loop, pouch, holster, pocket, or be safely staged as required by stage instructions. - Use of ammo from cartridge loops mounted on a firearm’s stock or forearm is not allowed. - No ammunition may be carried in the mouth, ears, nose, cleavage, or any other bodily orifice. - Leather belt slide ammo loops are acceptable; however, shotgun shell slides may not be worn over shotgun loops on an ammo belt. - Ammunition belts must be worn so all ammo is positioned at or below the belly button.

Bandoleers are allowed and must be worn loosely. A traditional bandoleer would be worn over the shoulder.

Please note, as others have said, an ammunition belt is not a bandoleer and must comply with the rule on the positioning of the ammo at or below the belly button.

You may also carry ammo in your breast pocket.

1 minute ago, Ace_of_Hearts said:

Bandoleers, cartridge belts, and pouches must be of traditional design (e.g., bandoleers must be loose and not secured in any way to prevent movement). Modern drop pouches, combat style shotgun loops, wrist or forearm bandoleers, and such are not allowed. - Pouches shall have a flap and must carry their contents loose, with no special provisions to organize the contents for rapid retrieval. - Cartridge loops must not have a metal or plastic liner. However, the entire loop may be made of metal.

Ammunition required for loading/reloading during the course of any stage must be carried on the shooter’s person, in a bandoleer, cartridge/shot shell belt loop, pouch, holster, pocket, or be safely staged as required by stage instructions. - Use of ammo from cartridge loops mounted on a firearm’s stock or forearm is not allowed. - No ammunition may be carried in the mouth, ears, nose, cleavage, or any other bodily orifice. - Leather belt slide ammo loops are acceptable; however, shotgun shell slides may not be worn over shotgun loops on an ammo belt. - Ammunition belts must be worn so all ammo is positioned at or below the belly button.

Bandoleers are allowed and must be worn loosely. A traditional bandoleer would be worn over the shoulder.

Please note, as others have said, an ammunition belt is not a bandoleer and must comply with the rule on the positioning of the ammo at or below the belly button.

You may also carry ammo in your breast pocket.

Thank you kindly...

Archived