SASS Wire Forum

Precision Bombing

Subdeacon Joe

That was the first thought I had when I read the thread title. Ironically, the picture shows the B-52 over water, not ground!

1 hour ago, DocWard said:

That was the first thought I had when I read the thread title. Ironically, the picture shows the B-52 over water, not ground!

Bombing a small island - has to drop over water so the forward momentum will carry the ordnance to the land.  :D

10 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Nukes, however, must not hit the ground

Why? Fuzing depends on the intended target.  Air burst for relatively soft targets...military bases above ground; city busting, etc.  Surface burst for more hardened targets.  Subsurface burst for deeply buried targets (presuming the casing is built for bunker-busting)!  But I seriously doubt the BUFF could drop directly on a defended target. With the Russian-made S-400, the range of the thing is about 400 miles, so the bomber would have to rely on some sort of standoff weapon. 

The air burst is usually 100 to 1,000 m (330 to 3,280 ft) above the hypocenter to allow the shockwave of the fission or fusiondriven explosion to bounce off the ground and back into itself, creating a shockwave that is more forceful than one from a detonation at ground level. This "mach stem" only occurs near ground level, and is similar in shape to the letter Y when viewed from the side. Airbursting also minimizes fallout by keeping the fireball from touching the ground, limiting the amount of debris that is vaporized and drawn up in the radioactive debris cloud. For the Hiroshima bomb, an air burst 550 to 610 m (1,800 to 2,000 ft) above the ground was chosen "to achieve maximum blast effects, and to minimize residual radiation on the ground as it was hoped U.S. troops would soon occupy the city".

On 10/12/2019 at 11:41 AM, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Nukes, however, must not hit the ground

B-61 mod 11

Archived