SASS Wire Forum

Shot Guns

Hot Iron Hill

When you go to a match to try out different shotguns,  make sure and take a box or two of factory loaded 12 ga ammo.    If you can find Winchester AA low noise low recoil.   Then you can try several persons shotguns.  Bullett 19707

1 hour ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

I have many times-;)

Getting the timing 'rite' on the 87 to feed all brass was a challenge.

OLG

I didnt even consider going that route. I just trimmed all of my brass back to 2.25" and it runs

• 2 weeks later...

I have a very good Win97 pump that shoots great all the time....no failures.  I also have several others that I’m working up to be reliable shooters.  I have parts and screws and such I’ve acquired, over the years, but never seem to need them so far.   I LOVE the Win97 shotgun.  

i also have one of the first Chinese clones of the Win87 lever shotguns.   It shoots all the time, every time.....never any failures...great shotgun.  

I have one doubles shotgun, but I’m not enamored of it....I rarely shoot it..... Doubles just are not my thing, I guess.

Cat Brules

On 10/13/2019 at 12:54 PM, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Try them BOTH.   You may find you have a technique that adapts to one over the other that suits

you best.   And maybe the 87 also.

I actually started SASS with a SxS for the first couple years but never seem to adapt to it well.

Then I tried the 97 and found it was better for me.

Good Luck.

..........Widder

Says one of the fastest ‘97 shooters in the “free world” :)

You can try all of them, but you won't know what you will eventually shoot the best until you get a lot of practice with them. I have a hammerless double, several 97s and a 87. I'm not real fast, but shoot quicker with the 97, then the double and then the 87. If you use cheap shells, the 97 will work best. I lost two rounds this weekend with a stuck hull in my 87. :( Lesson learned the hard way.

Try them all like everyone says then choose the one that you like the best, you might end up with two of them. Right now I'm using a 97 and I like it. I'm not a fast shooter, but I think the 97 will help me improve my times over using an sxs.  

Variety is the spice of life! To be honest though, I really only shoot the TTN external hammer coach gun and the model 12s these days. 

20191027_140938.jpg

Archived