SASS Wire Forum

BATFE Astonished that 7,700 Pounds of Explosives Goes "BOOM!"

Subdeacon Joe

Blast from Florida's largest explosives seizure surprises even military experts

The investigation into Levene started in 2016, when he was convicted for felony possession and distribution of commercial explosives without a permit. Two years later, investigators said they zeroed in on his property where they confiscated 7,700 pounds of explosive fuses and flash powder.

Disposal would take some assistance. US Air Force Staff Sgt. Benjamin McGovern, also an explosive ordnance technician, said when the ATF called for help, they thought of the range in Avon Park, but the Air Force is not permitted to dispose of munitions at that location.

“So instead, we used this for training, and set it up as safely as possible,” McGovern said. “Setting up the explosives was the hardest part because it was 30-35 pounds, up to 50-pound boxes, and there were a couple hundred of them. We set them up with gasoline on them to help them ignite and then we just let it go.”

The ordnance consisted of black powder wrapped up in paper, typically used for setting off fireworks simultaneously.

The resulting blast shocked even the experts.

“I didn’t expect it to be that big,” McGovern said. “I thought it’d be quick, just a little bit of smoke, that’s it. But that was a lot bigger than I thought it’d be.”

http://www.fox13news.com/news/local-news/feds-blew-up-7-700-pounds-of-explosives-hoarded-by-convicted-sarasota-man

Photo credit: US Air Force Civil Engineers

I’m just a DFE (Dumb Friendly Engineer) with a lifetime of hobby experience with Sacred Incense and its Smokey-less counterpart. 

Even I could have told them what 7700 lbs of black powder propellant would do when lit at once. It burns very different than the same amount as C-4 or RDX explodes

Jeeesh!

17 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Giving me flashbacks. :lol:

Hey, Bottles!  Give Bob there a

Flashback

DRINK TYPE: COCKTAIL
INGREDIENTS
3 oz. Vodka
5 oz. Gatorade (Preferably fruit flavoured)
Ginger Ale
INSTRUCTIONS
Mix the vodka and the Gatorade in a collins glass, then fill with Ginger Ale. Serve on ice.

10 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Hey, Bottles!  Give Bob there a

Flashback

DRINK TYPE: COCKTAIL
INGREDIENTS
3 oz. Vodka
5 oz. Gatorade (Preferably fruit flavoured)
Ginger Ale
INSTRUCTIONS
Mix the vodka and the Gatorade in a collins glass, then fill with Ginger Ale. Serve on ice.

Now I’m gettin nauseous!:wacko:

2 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Now I’m gettin nauseous!:wacko:

<pushes a Pear-Ginger Smoothy to Bob>

Pear Ginger Smoothie

ngcb5

Image: Alicia Wolf, the Dizzy Cook

Ingredients:

• 3/4 cup fresh pear, like Bartlett, roughly chopped (about 1 pear)
  • 2 tsp fresh ginger, minced
  • 3/4 cup arugula
  • 3/4 cup of oat milk (or milk of choice)
  • 2 tsp hemp seeds
  • Sweetener is optional. Use honey or lucuma powder.

Directions:

1 – Place all the ingredients in a high-speed blender and process until fully combined.

2 – Add roughly 1 cup of ice and blend till smooth. Serve immediately.

46 minutes ago, The Bearded Wonder said:

In the pics it was just quick fuse and e matches, quick fuse is really fast burning powder on string enclosed in paper used with professional fireworks, I bet there is more to the story.

"four tons of explosive fuses and flash powder."

One of the links mentioned 35 and 50 pound cases of powder.

This man was selling them on his black-market website,” McGovern said. “Imagine that amount of explosives in close proximity to the places we frequent, what could have occurred... So to get that off the street and keep the public safe, that was a win for everybody.”

Using the unexpected explosion caused by the 'experts' as justification for the arrest?

Archived