SASS Wire Forum

More Gun Laws for California

Raylan

Which I hate to see, and undoutedly Illinois is taking notes. 

AB 879 precursor parts bill looks like a  PITA too. 

AB 879, which requires all “precursor parts” sold in the state be sold through a licensed “precursor parts dealer”, which in turn means background checks (and fees) on every purchase of a “precursor part”, be it a trigger, a barrel, or an 80% lower. Basically anything other than an a finished firearm, frame, or finished receiver. This is modeled after California’s new ammunition background check law, which has had thousands of false denials and delays since it went into effect earlier this year. And just like California’s ammunition background check law, which makes it illegal for California residents to bring ammunition purchased out of state back home, this bill creates a new misdemeanor offense for anyone who brings “a firearm precursor part into the state without first having the part delivered to a licensed firearm precursor part vendor

https://bearingarms.com/cam-e/2019/10/11/gunmageddon-ii-california-gov-signs-dozen-gun-control-bills/

So, if you live in California and send your rifle off to a top gunsmith for an action job, the springs, links and aluminum carrier are "precursor parts"?  This could get expensive for a California resident.  No more ordering those aftermarket triggers from Midway USA.

Just one more way for the fools, charlatans and manipulators to feel they are fighting crime while they let criminals roam the streets and walk away from courts where they should have gone to jail. 

They aren’t intelligent enough to create good laws so we will exploit the loopholes. Just as we have for decades. 

What this “parts law” is about is people building AR-15s and other Kit guns from 80% receivers and frames and these folks that prefer to build their own custom guns from the frame up. 

I believe that you can still by 80% lowers and ship them to CA, but once completed you “must” engrave or stamp a serial number and “document” it with the DOJ. “California does not have gun registration”...per the leftist morons at DOJ. 

Here is the kicker. These educated morons just lit a fire. I myself am planning my next 2 builds when I had actually decided I wasn’t going to assemble any more ARs. And, like all good Americans, thousands of others will do the same because we are being told that we can’t. 

If those parts have no serial number, how can they be tracked?   It would mean that you couldn’t just order it anymore, but no reason you couldn’t pick one up on a trip out of state.   No one can prove when you bought it.   Since they are not controlled items in other states, you can easily buy the parts.  

I know it's hard to leave where you live especially for you Cally natives but how much can you put up with?? Geeeeezzzz..............

CA Ghost Gun.png

Yes, there had been a bill that was so poorly written that any block of aluminum big enough to be milled into a receiver WAS in fact a "firearm."  On the other hand, https://www.mercurynews.com/2019/10/12/a-california-man-sold-illegal-ar-15s-feds-agreed-to-let-him-go-free-to-avoid-hurting-gun-control-efforts/ 

The judge shouldn't have allowed the charges to be dropped.

2 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I know it's hard to leave where you live especially for you Cally natives but how much can you put up with?? Geeeeezzzz..............

We have looked at 90+ properties so far...  NV and AZ.
Prices are $600k and up.  Most have CC&Rs, HOAs and the Nazis that run them.
Our house in Sacramento will sell for half of that.

Property taxes on a $600k house are FAR higher than we pay in CA for our paid-off home.
I am reluctant to be 69 years old and taking on another $300k+ mortgage.

Eventually, I will die on my wife, and she will be stuck in NV, AZ, MO, ID, WY or ??... a thousand miles from her daughters.
I've been in CA since 1967, and I truly hate what has become of this state.
There are realities that make it nearly impossible to leave, no matter how oppressive it becomes.

2 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

3 years, 3 months...tick, tock, tick, tock...

Just now, Henry T Harrison said:

You can move to Pa or Ohio states with very liberal gun laws and where $300k will buy you one hell of a home 

Henry, I agree.  My wife and I are both from PA and our families are there. In SW PA one can buy a nice home very reasonably priced. It has crossed our minds to go back but we love the West. I can see us in AZ, NM or west Texas. I have also decided where ever we go we are renting. The new tax laws suck for home purchases. By renting we can pick up and go much more easily. 

At least that is the plan for now.

On 10/13/2019 at 7:54 AM, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

They are called 'Ghost-Guns'.....

I'll be leaving PRK soon.......Headed to Missouri.

OLG

Well, according to G&A magazines annual list of gun friendly states, Missouri isn't even in the top ten.   It's number twelve.

Top ten are Arizona, Idaho, Alaska, Kansas, Oklahoma, Kentucky, Utah, Montana, Wyoming, and Texas .

22 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Henry, I agree.  My wife and I are both from PA and our families are there. In SW PA one can buy a nice home very reasonably priced. It has crossed our minds to go back but we love the West. I can see us in AZ, NM or west Texas. I have also decided where ever we go we are renting. The new tax laws suck for home purchases. By renting we can pick up and go much more easily. 

At least that is the plan for now.

I can see you in Arizona, too.  Nice four bedroom house, 1800 square feet on a half acre just two blocks from me.  Houses here are generally on the market for under six weeks.

6 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Well, according to G&A magazines annual list of gun friendly states, Missouri isn't even in the top ten.   It's number twelve.

Top ten are Arizona, Idaho, Alaska, Kansas, Oklahoma, Kentucky, Utah, Montana, Wyoming, and Texas .

The ones in bold are already in danger of turning blue in the next few years. Honestly, where can you go that hordes of leftists won't follow?

Missouri, Arkansas, and Kentucky are safer red states, and the difference between the top twenty or so on gun rights is small if you read the criteria. But unless one or two more 2nd Amendment USSC justices are appointed then we will all be screwed nationally regardless of the state. 

On 10/13/2019 at 11:14 AM, bgavin said:

Property taxes on a $600k house are FAR higher than we pay in CA for our paid-off home.

Eventually, I will die on my wife, and she will be stuck in NV, AZ, MO, ID, WY or ??... a thousand miles from her daughters.
There are realities that make it nearly impossible to leave, no matter how oppressive it becomes.

600,000? Where are you looking? Phoenix? Try NM or CO. Place down the road from me has a house, huge metal barn, and 80 acres for 400,000. And it’s one of the more expensive in the area. Search around. There are plenty of Californians moving who sell their homes for a lot more than they would go for here. Of course if you’re going to a big metro area things are different.

My sister moved from Florida to California to be close to the grandkids. She wishes now she hadn’t.

3 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

True, if you are only looking at gun ownership factors.  If you consider cost of living and real estate values, the Ozarks comes out looking pretty good. 

California and gun owners constantly reminds me of a cat playing with a mouse it's caught. Rather than killing it outright the cat plays with it for awhile. It seems a month doesn't go by that the CA legislature doesn't pass another new incremental gun control bill. All are small steps but all are corralling gun owners in the same direction... towards a total ban on most types of firearms ownership.

On 10/13/2019 at 10:14 AM, bgavin said:

I bought my 1991 built house five years ago for $210,000.  1,800+ square feet, 3 bed room, 2 baths, half acre, 1,800 square foot two bay workshop in back with a shower, sink, toilet, another utility sink, its own water heater and huge space heater in the south bay, and a small office.

I'm in Prescott Valley, a few miles from Prescott and a bit larger population, with a very mild climate up here a mile above sea level.

It's not in a new trendy high dollar area like where some of my friends live, but it didn't cost as much as a new aircraft carrier, either.

I have no HOA nor CCR, and I don't have a well, septic system, bottled gas, or any other boondocks stuff.  I get all of that through municipal entities and my solar panels ($227.00 mo).

Once you reach your 70th birthday you get all kinds of tax breaks on your property.  My mortgage is $431.00 a month.  I get a rebate from the electrical company for the power that they have to pay me for above what I use, and I got bill for electricity for $6.38 for the difference.  I don't have a huge fortune, but I have some investments that are growing pretty well.  I don't deny myself much and have some left over every month.  I'm comfortable.

4 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

600,000? Where are you looking? Phoenix? Try NM or CO. Place down the road from me has a house, huge metal barn, and 80 acres for 400,000. And it’s one of the more expensive in the area. Search around. There are plenty of Californians moving who sell their homes for a lot more than they would go for here. Of course if you’re going to a big metro area things are different.

My sister moved from Florida to California to be close to the grandkids. She wishes now she hadn’t.

I'm looking in Prescott, Prescott Valley, Payson in AZ, Carson City, Minden, and Gardnerville in NV
We want 1800~2400 sq. ft, 4-bed, 2-bath, 3-car garage or 2-car + shop, gas kitchen, and no HOA or CC&R.

I have three realtors working for me, and none have anything under $600k
We will get maybe  $300k at the most from our place in Sacramento.

I wouldn't live in Phoenix on a bet.
Much cheaper in PHX than Prescott or Prescott Valley.

CO is right behind CA for liberal baloney.
NV is turning more Blue by the day.
NM is already a liberal hell.
WY is too damn cold and too much snow.

7 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

I can see you in Arizona, too.  Nice four bedroom house, 1800 square feet on a half acre just two blocks from me.  Houses here are generally on the market for under six weeks.

Why can't my realtor or Zillow find these?

7 hours ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

The ones in bold are already in danger of turning blue in the next few years. Honestly, where can you go that hordes of leftists won't follow?

Leftists run from a state because of high taxes high cost of living and restrictive laws. Then start voting for the same in new state.

44 minutes ago, bgavin said:

Why can't my realtor or Zillow find these?

Try Realtor.com

12 hours ago, bgavin said:

I'm looking in Prescott, Prescott Valley, Payson in AZ, Carson City, Minden, and Gardnerville in NV
We want 1800~2400 sq. ft, 4-bed, 2-bath, 3-car garage or 2-car + shop, gas kitchen, and no HOA or CC&R.

I have three realtors working for me, and none have anything under $600k
We will get maybe  $300k at the most from our place in Sacramento.

I wouldn't live in Phoenix on a bet.
Much cheaper in PHX than Prescott or Prescott Valley.

CO is right behind CA for liberal baloney.

Have you though about Fallon NV?

11 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Have you though about Fallon NV?

Air quality is no better than Sacramento.
A/Q is one of the criteria we use to select our places of interest.

On 10/14/2019 at 6:39 PM, bgavin said:

OC is right behind CA for liberal baloney.

Colorado is blue because of Denver and Boulder. Much of the rest of the state is Red, is my experience. And beautiful mountain scenery, great snow skiing if that's your thing, and lots of Old West history there. I love Colorado even though I hate blue politics.

Wyoming has cold and snow but you can always wear a coat. :D Wyoming is on my retirement short list.

Archived