SASS Wire Forum

Reloading Trivia - How to Reduce Press Handle Effort

I've been reloading for a long time; last 25 years or so on a Dillon 550B with Dillon dies, roller handle, strong mount, etc. Currently loading .38 Spl., .40 S&W, .44 Mag., .45 ACP, and .458 Win. Mag. Shoot these in CAS, WB, ASI, and IDPA. We don't have elephants in WV anymore, so plink with the .458 using 45-70 power type loads. I tumble my brass, squirt w/Hornady One-Shot and box in 5" square boxes. Lately the .45 ACP's have become more difficult to load, requiring extra handle pulling effort and encountering an occasional not fully-seated primer. Anyhow, spent a bit of time in reflection and realized I have about a 3 or 4 years backlog of .45 cases. This probably means the One-Shot lube has completely dried out.  

Lubed some of the cases again, and they loaded like butter. Stress level on shoulder was way down. Now going to regularly lube them all just before using for reloading. Might even consider wiping my shotgun hulls with Armor All before loading them on my MEC Grabber. Anything I can do to stretch out a few more miles on my fairly worn-out body.

I mix my own case lube.  I use Lanolin and 99% denatured alcohol.  It's about a 12-1 ratio.  Just mix it up in a small spray bottle.  Works great and is a lot cheaper than Hornady one shot.  Makes the press seem like its had an action job.

21 minutes ago, Badlands Bob #61228 said:

I mix my own case lube.  I use Lanolin and 99% denatured alcohol.  It's about a 12-1 ratio.  Just mix it up in a small spray bottle.  Works great and is a lot cheaper than Hornady one shot.  Makes the press seem like its had an action job.

This is the lube to use.

Much less effort that One Shot to size the case.

OLG

46 minutes ago, Badlands Bob #61228 said:

Where do you get your lanolin?

Duffield

Archived