SASS Wire Forum

1876 45-60 or 45-70

Wild Willi

I am going to buy a 1876 carbine 22 inch barrel So should a get 45-70 or 45-60.  45-70 I already have some ammo, 45-60 the ammo is twice the price at least.  However will the felt recoil of the 45-70 be less  than enjoyable.  Will the recoil of the 45-60 be about the same.  1876 shooters help me out here

Yer choices are .40-60, .45-60, .45-75, and .50-95.

The .40-60 and .45-60 can be easily made by cutting down .45-70 cases and running them through the respective reloading dies.

1876.jpg

I had a 76 in 45-60, I always loaded it with black powder.Never found the recoil to be at all heavy,it is a pretty heavy rifle

41 minutes ago, Wild Willi said:

Yep Crossfire 1876 is available in 45-70

Nope.  Like Three Foot stated, the action is too short for the 45-70.    The four calibers he mentioned above are the same calibers as the originals came in.

Mine is 45-60. I cut down 45-70 brass. Then found some 45-60 brass. I shoot a 305 grn bullet with 12.0 Unique. Seems to work well for me. 

Whatever you do, DON'T buy a Chaparral. I bought one in the spring of '07, because it was considerably less than a Uberti...

... the first one wouldn't keep 'em all on a 8' x 8' target backing at 50 yards. That's EIGHT FEET, not eight inches. I backed off to 25 yards, then 15, and the bullets were tumbling and hitting completely sideways even at that range. It had a slew of other problems too - ill fitting side plates, extraction problems, sear problems, etc. I sent it back, they "fixed" it, and... there was a small improvement... back again, and they replaced it, then went out of business. The third one had fairly well fit parts & wood, and I was able to make it functionally acceptable, but 15" groups at 100 yards were about as good as it got. Every now and then, I'd get it out and try something else - different powders, both black & smokeless, different bullets (from 265 - 405 grains), both jacketed and cast, etc. Eventually, a year or so back, I decided to go waaay out of the envelope and try a cast 500 grain round nose seated deep enough to cycle... and it worked! With a case of Alliant Black MZ, it will shoot as good as I can hold it - two inches or so at 100 yards, maybe three on a bad day. I haven't tried smokeless with that big ol' pill yet, but I don't want to shoot smokeless anyway, so...

Oh, it's a .45-75.

I have an original Winchester 76 in 45-60. Also have a repro uberti in 45-60. Have shot both out to 300 yards no problem.

For Smokeless I use 14.5 grs. of Trail Boss. For Black Powder I use 62 grs of Swiss 1 1/2 .

For Brass I use cut down old 45-70 Brass.

Recoil isn't a problem.

Archived