SASS Wire Forum

Cabela's Gun Library

On our annual pilgrimage to Wyoming this month, we stopped by Cabela's home store in Sidney, Ne.  We always look forward to this stop because, among other things, they have always had an interesting selection of used guns on racks in the main store, the bargain cave usually has some item that one of us can't live without and the Gun Library has a mouth-watering array of custom rifles by artists such as Dale Goens and Jerry Fisher, A y A shotguns and assorted double rifles and etc.

This year the used guns on the main floor were down to a pitiful few, the bargain cave is GONE and the gun library had only a mundane assortment of low priced off the shelf rifles and shotguns and several black guns of dubious quality.  The gentleman in the office told us that the new management will not let them buy the more expensive used guns for re-sale, they are limited to the sort that they had.   I understand that they have to make a profit and all that, but I feel the new business model is a step in the wrong direction.

Sic Transit Gloria Mundi.

Duffield

Unfortunately this is the new normal at Cabelas. The Gun Library at the stores here are exactly as you describe as well. Also there are few sales on ammo now and the locks stay on the guns until they're sold, so no checking the actions. I have a strong feeling that in another year or two they're going to pull a Dick's on us and stop selling firearms (or at least MBR's and handguns) as well. The closest one to me was remodeled earlier in the year and is now 2/3 full of overpriced clothing, where before it was only 1/3 of the showroom floor.

I blame a large part of it on the Bass Pro take over.

I was in a Cabela's today =               

No more Bargain Cave.

Very few used firearms.

A larger stock of  "cabin shirts", slippers and housewares than they had of hunting clothing.

They told me the item I was looking for was no longer there, I should go check at Walmart.

And worst of all,

No more free coffee........

Yep sounds about on par with the ones here in OH and WV. The last time I went in to one they wouldnt pull the locks off a pistol so I could check the action. I was told that was the policy. I had a couple hundred dollars worth of reloading supplies in a basket. I sat them on the counter and said i'd spend my money elsewhere. I havent been back since. 

35 minutes ago, Fence Cutter said:

I blame a large part of it on the Bass Pro take over.

You can blame it entirely on the Bass Pro takeover. Many of the long-time employees quit because they were upset at the changes, and you can tell the new ones are about as enthusiastic about their jobs as a prison warden.

I have never liked BassPro and could see in my mind what was going to happen at Cabelas. It won't be long and Cabelas won't exist....everything will be BassPro. Thanks Johnny Morris!

Cabela’s is no more. Bass Pro mucked it up. 

I am seriously considering dumping my Cabela’s black card and being completely done with them. 

Cabela's where I am... ditto.

No need to ever go there again as far as I'm concerned.

We like the BassPro in Springfield Mo.  It has the NRA museum.  We've done it a couple of times.  Walked through the store and looked at all the wildlife mounts. But never bought anything.  Everything 10-20% higher than Grafs or MidwayUSA that are close to us.

Good reason that they push clothing items - the profit margin is outrageously high. And clothing items wear out, go out of season and fassion.  

Has anyone shopped at the Kentucky Gun Company?  They are south of Louisville Kentucky. 

The Sidney Cabelas store still had the Bargain Cave in June.  There weren’t any bargains, maybe 10% off.  The Gun Library was as you described.  

Warden Callaway- I have shopped online and on the phone with KGC for years.  They used to screw up my layaway orders (sell my set a side piece to a walk in) about half of the time.  They are much better now.  The  physical store and range look good in tge video walk throughs.

Buying out a competitor is pretty common.  If we don’t like a company’s policy or products, let upper management know in writing.  Complaining to the college kid at the cash register is ineffective—do we really think he’s eager to tell his bosses that he couldn’t satisfy a customer??

2 hours ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

Buying out a competitor is pretty common.  If we don’t like a company’s policy or products, let upper management know in writing.  Complaining to the college kid at the cash register is ineffective—do we really think he’s eager to tell his bosses that he couldn’t satisfy a customer??

Oh I did contact Cabela’s and Bass Pro corporate offices and I let ‘em have it. I tried to contact that a-hole Johnny Morris and give home a piece of my mind but his minions wouldn’t allow it. 

My dad, myself and my brother bought lures off that guy (Johnny Morris - Bass Pro founder) in 1972 at Beaver Lake in Arkansas. If I knew them what I know now...

Johnny Morris does not believe people should own guns for anything other than hunting. 

I used to love Bass Pro in NC but when I figured out their gun policies and what they offered (very few handguns) I called BP in 2006 and asked why they didn’t sell other models and brands of handguns and I was told “Johnny Morris will not allow certain types of guns in his stores”.

Now that moth...sonofa...bastage has bought out one of the very coolest outdoor store chains in America and screwed it up royally. 

Yes Sir, I did call them and laid into them on several occasions over the past 2 years. As you can see my opinion, and that of many others I know that called, fell on deaf ears. 

Johnny Morris is only Pro Gun when it meets his definition of what we should own...or what makes him money. #%$& Him!

The Cabelas in Hazelwood looks like it is about to close.  Virtually empty of customers, most of the overhead light off, I assume to reduce cost.  A pity, I used to love to go there.  The entire mall is closed except for one or two stores.  Last time I went there, people (16 yr old thugs) were in great numbers acting rowdy and dumping popcorn and ice cream cones on the floor and refusing to clean up after themselves.  This kind of activity drove most of the paying customers out of the mall.  Bass Pro killed Cabelas - I hate stores that are nothing more than T shirt and gym shoe shops.

STL Suomi

I bought a great Alaknak 10' x 20' outfitter's tent from Cabelas 11 years ago with a son-in-law and we have used that thing on XC ski trips with kids and grandkids every year; one of our favorite activities. The tent has been great in every respect.

Other than that, I never liked Cabelas. I wondered whether their theatrical marketing model could last long-term. The one hereabouts is 20+ miles away.

Bass Pro opened nearby before the merger. I buy on-sale ammo there now and then. I bought a Browning BAR (as they call it) in .300 Win mag there a few months back and was well-treated. Otherwise, I don't go there for firearms.

But I like their clothes, their Red Head brand, and have bought many shirts there in recent months.

Our local Cabelas is a ghost of what it was when I started shopping there 10 years ago. At that time, they complimented the local Bass Pro. If you wanted hunting gear, firearms, ammo and reloading supplies, you went to Cabelas. If you wanted camping, fishing gear and clothing, you went to BP. Yes, there was overlap, but each had its own niche. The trigger lock policy and scarcity of reloading supplies sealed the deal for me, so there's no reason for me to shop at either store. I'm guessing the Cabelas name will eventually disappear.

If there was enough money in the stuff that appeals to us, they'd still be offering it. But I'm sure the bean counters and lawyers have decided we aren't worth the effort in the overall scheme of things. I have other options, so it's no skin off my nose.

I just looked at my Cabela’s card balance. Pay off is definitely doable. I am going to cash in my points and look to dump that card. 

I just looked at my points. I have $61.00 in points. They have changed there points system again. I should have at least $180 in points. Grrrrr :angry:

I looked for something I might want to burn up that $61 but I have a hard time paying full retail plus for magazines and reloading supplies...

Archived