SASS Wire Forum

Old rusty revolver restoration. Dangest thing you ever saw.

1 hour ago, Capt. James H. Callahan said:

I guess that's a Webley, or something similar.

JHC

Mark 3 in .38 I believe. I could be wrong. Webleys confuse me.

I have an old Smith lemon squeezer But I think it’s too far gone to fix. Maybe I’ll dig it out and try. Nothing to lose. All I need is an electrolysis tank and somebody to show me what to do. :lol:

Please educate me.  I would be concerned about tolerances.  If you take a wire brush or grinder or some such and run it through the cylinder or the barrel, aren't you risking messing up the tolerances?  I would be afraid to fire it after that.

4 hours ago, J. Mark Flint #31954 LIFE said:

Seems a shame to make it all look new.  And brass grips probably make it butt heavy.  Amazed that the tools used gave such nice results though.  A grinder . . .  who would have thunk it?

I cringed when I saw the power tools come out.  The gun couldn't have been in that bad a shape and have screws come out that easily.  Usually the springs are rusted beyond using. 

The revolver doesn't look exactly like a Webley, I suspect it was a Afghan or Pakistani shop built  copy, It's amazing what those guys can do with hand tools.

On 10/11/2019 at 12:29 PM, Utah Bob #35998 said:

I have an old Smith lemon squeezer But I think it’s too far gone to fix. Maybe I’ll dig it out and try. Nothing to lose. All I need is an electrolysis tank and somebody to show me what to do. :lol:

I made an electrolysis tanks years ago for my hot rod hobby.  I used a plastic horse trough, battery charger, a piece of iron that is going to be eaten up and washing soda.  You won't need anything as big as a horse trough.  Probably a small plastic bucket.  https://www.instructables.com/id/Electrolytic-Rust-Removal-aka-Magic/

16 hours ago, Willy B.SASS#26902 said:

The revolver doesn't look exactly like a Webley, I suspect it was a Afghan or Pakistani shop built  copy, It's amazing what those guys can do with hand tools.

Possibly. Serial numbers look to be in the wrong place. India makes some Webley copies. 

Hard to get a good close look the video moves so fast.

1 hour ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Hard to get a good close look the video moves so fast.

So true. There at the end he kept opening and closing it. I was trying to see if the ejector star was coming up, but he was going too fast.

Do my eyes deceive me or does the barrel get longer?

Look at the first 10 seconds, then compare with the 40 second mark.

21 hours ago, Henry T Harrison said:

Anyone want to try these two. Sorry about the mess on my work bench 

Dang, Henry... that'll bring tears to a man's eyes!   :(

So, is there a background story behind those two pieces?  A fire, maybe?  :huh:

24 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Nope.  Get to the picture and opening credits and then It won't go any further.

I wish I knew what the history of those guns was. I bought them over twenty years ago at an auction as wall hangers and have always wonder what the story was.

23 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Nope.  Get to the picture and opening credits and then It won't go any further.

Sorry, seems to be working fine on this end. My wife sent it to my FB page, might try it there if interested.

JHC

Archived