SASS Wire Forum

How do you take the stock off of an SKB 200

diablo slim

From Shotgun World forum on this exact question: "Remove butt plate. Use metric socket( 10 or 11 mm) on an extension to remove the stock bolt. Remove rear trigger guard screw. Slide stock back and off the frame. It might be tough to get moving if it has not been removed before. If needed, grab the action in a padded vise and wiggle the stock around with hand pressure to get it broken free. Nothings going to jump out at you."

I dont have a padded vise.  Lay the gun in your lap, holding the action in one hand and “spank” the buttstock smartly with the other, alternating sides. You should see the wood start to gap away from the action after a few spanks.  Then it should slide apart easily.

Slim, if you have reason to remove part #64, I think it is wise to mark it with arrow as to how it came from gun (ex.  arrow up on side surface of part).

BTW, 10 MM worked for me.   

4 hours ago, Lunger Dan said:

From Shotgun World forum on this exact question: "Remove butt plate. Use metric socket( 10 or 11 mm) on an extension to remove the stock bolt. Remove rear trigger guard screw. Slide stock back and off the frame. It might be tough to get moving if it has not been removed before. If needed, grab the action in a padded vise and wiggle the stock around with hand pressure to get it broken free. Nothings going to jump out at you."

Don't forget the receiver tang screw under the trigger guard! this screw should be tight and if it is you will not get the stock off!

Check to see if there are any little cracks at the stock wrist where the stock meets the “receiver,” or “frame,” or “trigger group” (or whatever).  If so,  make sure as you “spank” the stock, or apply other encouraging force, that any such cracks don’t widen, OR that you don’t create any.  It shouldn’t be too bad, but be careful.  Using a rubber hammer may concentrate hammer strike force too much, so if you use one, be gentle and maybe put a folded pad on the stock to absorb and spread the hammer blows.  That’s what I’d do, anyway.  Heck, your stock may slip right off.

Cat Brules

If the stock is tight after removing nut and trigger guard use a round dowl in the stock hole and tap with hammer. It will loosen the frame from the stock without twisting the stock and causing cracks.

First find convenient Tree.  About 8 inches in Diameter.  Grip Shotgun barrels firmly in classic baseball batting stance, next to tree.  Swing Shotgun against tree and "swing for the cheap seats."  Stock will come off quite quickly.  :rolleyes:  :lol:

PS:  Forgot.  Take the screws and bolts out first :D

Archived