SASS Wire Forum

New to SASS

Idaho Cowboy

Greetings, 

I have lots of questions:

• Getting my Outfit ready wanted to know is any Cowboy hat acceptable as long as it’s wool or felt?

• Rifle: Rossi? Uberti 73 or Marlin 94 Cowboy?

• knife for belt which kind to get? is this knife acceptable?

Many thanks,

Idaho Cowboy

DD485145-AFC6-426D-978C-0DD1804E09E2.jpeg

Hat not required, but felt, wool, straw, and/or palm leaf; just not a "shady brady"(think Richard Petty or cheap mesh Walmart straw hat).

1. 1873 Uberti or Winchester

2. 1866 Uberti or Winchester

3. 1860 Uberti, Winchester, or Henry

4. Marlin 1894

5. 92' Rossi or Winchester

15. 94 Winchester

16. Burgess, Spencer, other oddball rifles.

99. Henry Big Boy

Don't buy anything of course until you've been to at least one match.

Knife should be fine but not required either.

Welcome to the best game there is!

27 minutes ago, Idaho Cowboy said:

Thank you,

I thought I read somewhere no straw hats?

PG.4 of the shooters handbook: 

OUTLAWED ITEMS
SASS wants our participants to be safe, have fun, develop their competitive shooting skills, 
and enjoy the rich traditions of the Old West. We ask you join us in the friendly spirit of 
competition and preservation of our heritage. The use or presence of any of the listed 
outlawed items will result in a Stage Disqualification penalty. 
- Modern shooting gloves
- Short sleeve shirts (male competitors only)
- Short sleeve tee shirts, long sleeve tee shirts, and tank tops for all competitors. 
(Long sleeve Henley type shirts with buttons are acceptable.)
- Modern feathered cowboy hats (Shady Bradys)
Straw hats of traditional design are acceptable (e.g., Stetson, Baily, Sombreros, 
etc.)

- Designer jeans are not allowed. Designer jeans include modern jeans that have 
slogans or logos embroidered, silk screened, and such, saying things like “PINK” 
or “BABY.” Jeans with fancy or flashy adornments are acceptable.
- Ball caps.
- All types of athletic shoes or combat boots, no matter the material from which 
they are constructed.
- Nylon, plastic, or Velcro accouterments.
- The displaying of any manufacturer’s, sponsor’s, or team logos on apparel. 
(Manufacturer’s labels on such apparel or equipment are acceptable)

1 hour ago, Idaho Cowboy said:

Thank you,

I thought I read somewhere no straw hats?

Straw or palm leaf hats are not allowed in the "Classic Cowboy" (SHB p.8) and "B-Western" (p.9) categories.

Welcome to the game!! Have a blast!!!

Jax T

Welcome!

Yore gonna love this stuff!

:D

that knife is ok , i think most of us get one we like the look and feel of , keep in mind that what hangs on your belt adds weight and a long day of carry often reminds one to carry less - its often "more" if you get my innuendo ,  i do have a knife on most of my rigs but they tend to smaller and lighter as i get older , but by all means carry what you wish - just not a tac-ti-cool folder on the belt , leave it in your cart , 

Welcome aboard.  New to SASS and Cowboy Action Shooting myself with just 5 matches under my belt. Best advice, find a nearby club and go hangout with them. You will be able to ask questions and get some hands on time with different gear.  I am very fortunate having the Cavalier Cowboys at my club. Best bunch of Cowboys and Cowgirls a greenhorn could ask for. After watching a couple of matches they asked me when I was going to shoot a match. I said I still needed to pick a shotgun and leather. Two members stepped up and loaned me the gear I needed to shoot that first match. The Match Director assigned me a mentor to coach me through the match and I’ve been hooked on this game ever since. I have to give the credit to them, great ambassadors of the sport. 

From one greenhorn to another, WELCOME.

Welcome.  Go to a match or few, get a feeling gor not just guns but categories.  Some like classic or B wextern have costume and wepon requirements.

38 spl is most popular.  4t colt msybe second.

If you get a later hankering for classic or wild bunch save by getting a 40 plus caliber rifle.

97 not allowed in classic but in sge and b western, again get a hankering gor wb you save a bit.

I found that if you ask in the For Sale forum that you need clothing (what type and size) some good pard out there will help you out.  Just about everything I wear I bought used on the forum.  The other plus is that you talk to some great cowboys.

Howdy, Idaho Cowboy.  You will likely have several hats in short order. I wear palm hats in the summer and wool/felt hats in the cooler weather. I have one crushable felt hat that I wear in cold weather as it's the warmest of the lot. So, go ahead and make some space on that top shelf in your closet for your hat collection.  

On rifles, I started out with a Rossi, slicked it up pretty good, but once I shot a pard's Cody Matic Uberti 1873, I ordered one the next day.  That's what most are shooting in our area, but a good number also shoot Marlins.  

I took the knife off my belt because it was just extra baggage. I do have a screw knife, which you might want to consider eventually. 

Go to some local matches and see what others have and ask lots of questions. Someone is bound to put a gun in your hands to try out to help you make a decision. 

7 hours ago, Tequila Chase said:

I found that if you ask in the For Sale forum that you need clothing (what type and size) some good pard out there will help you out.  Just about everything I wear I bought used on the forum.  The other plus is that you talk to some great cowboys.

Howdy, Idaho Cowboy.  Great advice here from Tequila Chase.  Don't get too hung up on all the "add-ons" like knives, badge holders, etc. right off the bat.  There are plenty of opportunities to pick up used clothes, boots, and other gear from our pards on the classifieds section.

Welcome to the game!

WELCOME Idaho Cowboy to the best game and folks goin. Hang on for the addiction!

5a2a989e95497_SASSWelcome.JPG.ed5045d9abb98d8837093843c187d2e5.JPG

Archived