SASS Wire Forum

Wild Bunch 1911’s

Peter Pollione

Are there two different categories for 1911 pistols with adjustable sights and fixed sights? 

7 hours ago, Peter Pollione said:

Are there two different categories for 1911 pistols with adjustable sights and fixed sights? 

Wild Bunch is not part of Cowboy Action shooting except for side matches. I thought I would mention that since this is not the Wild Bunch forum. You can find the Wild Bunch forum here. Wild Bunch forum

14 minutes ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

I have never quite understood the distinction.   I always figured a 1911 would be "Traditional" and a 1911-A1 would be "Modern."

Or am I being to literal?

Read the handbook. Pretty straight forward.

3 hours ago, Peter Pollione said:

The pistol requirements for the Traditional category are more restrictive than those for the Modern category.  Adjustable sights are not allowed in Traditional but allowed in Modern.  That said, a Traditional pistol need not have teeny tiny sights like those on a WWI-WWII issue pistol.  The Remington R1 and Springfield Milspec are examples of Traditional-legal pistols with visible sights.  Also a pistol legal for Traditional is fine in Modern, too.

59 minutes ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

I have never quite understood the distinction.   I always figured a 1911 would be "Traditional" and a 1911-A1 would be "Modern."

Or am I being to literal?

Do you know the difference between the 1911, and the 1911 A-1?

Both have fixed sights.

A1 has arched MS housing and a shorter trigger. 

IIRC, the manual safety 'ledge' was changed some too.

The A1 also had better fixed sights.

OLG

I always figured a 1911 would be "Traditional" and a 1911-A1 would be "Modern."

If you would instead consider the Traditional gun being a service-issued model up through about Vietnam era, and Modern being something the US services might have issued if they ever thought about using the 1911 type platform after Vietnam, you would be just about right.

The A1 update being a dividing line would not be very "friendly" to a large segment of the WB shooter base.   And especially so if you allowed nothing after the A1 update.

Good luck, GJ

Archived