SASS Wire Forum

Colt Python

Rye Miles #13621

1993 unfired, what a great gun! The single action is amazing and so is the double action. I kinda bought it thinking about keeping it pristine and maybe selling it down the road and make some $$$$, but I think I'm going to HAVE TO SHOOT IT!:)

Resized_20191009_104340.jpeg

Resized_20191009_104419.jpeg

5 minutes ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

I want to see paper with holes in it!   :D

There may just be one. ;) I had one of those for a while. Might be the sexiest looking handgun ever. They shoot too.

JHC

The cylinder turns the wrong way and will throw your shooting off.  Best just put it in the safe and forget about it.....NOT!!!!

I have a couple of vintage revolvers that I want to keep pristine.  I shoot them, clean them, can't tell they've been shot.  I never put these pristine revolvers in a holster.

^_^

Local shop I work for has a 81 model 6" blue python with a real bad ugly spot on each side of the barrel.  Unfortunately, the owner's in too deep on it to make it financially attractive.  I found a couple of pristine barrels I can buy to replace the marred one, but by the time I bought one of them, and the gun, I could buy an undamaged gun for less money.  

ugly python.jpg

1 hour ago, LawMan Mark, SASS #57095L said:

Local shop I work for has a 81 model 6" blue python with a real bad ugly spot on each side of the barrel.  Unfortunately, the owner's in too deep on it to make it financially attractive.  I found a couple of pristine barrels I can buy to replace the marred one, but by the time I bought one of them, and the gun, I could buy an undamaged gun for less money.  

ugly python.jpg

I paid less than that for my unfired 1993 Python.

Cabela’s Gun Library In Tualatin, OR had 3 Pythons, all priced $2500-2700 last year at this time. Of course, they were stupid crazy with some of their pricing at this point. 

I can remember seeing several Colt Bicenntenial sets in the late 1990s for sale and now feeling stupid for not buying at least one.  The set was in a small chest of drawers and cam with Colt's Armsmear book.  The bottom drawer had a second gen Dragoon.  The middle drawer held a SAA 7.5" barrel in .45.  The top drawer was a 6" Python with an undiluted cylinder.  Prices were around $2000 for the set!!

14 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Buying a gun and not shooting it is like kissing your sister. It’s just so wrong on so many levels. 

The only one I have is a late 70's Colt SAA. NIB with the original cellophane wrap and all the paperwork. Got it on a deal with a buddy of mine. His mom gave it to him. I promised to give him first shot if I ever decide to sell it. Box is dogged out from being dragged around so many years but the gun is still unfired. I've cocked it and dry fired it a few times. I figure if I want to shoot a .45 that bad I have plenty of Rugers. It has been tempting though.

JHC

1 hour ago, Tom Bullweed said:

I can remember seeing several Colt Bicenntenial sets in the late 1990s for sale and now feeling stupid for not buying at least one.  The set was in a small chest of drawers and cam with Colt's Armsmear book.  The bottom drawer had a second gen Dragoon.  The middle drawer held a SAA 7.5" barrel in .45.  The top drawer was a 6" Python with an undiluted cylinder.  Prices were around $2000 for the set!!

Your butt must be sore from kicking yourself.

JHC

My dad purchased one for me ( I bought it) in 1961 when the suggested retail was $125 for $95. He new the chief of police and got it at his discount. Yes it has been shot and I killed a lot of ground squirrels with it. I missed a lot too but they definitely new they being shot at. One of my favorite revolvers.

If you want to see a beauty, scroll down the page and look at the numerous photos of this engraved Colt Python.  As of this writing, it has 30 bids & a little over 4 hours left in the auction.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/834816427

:excl:

22 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I paid less than that for my unfired 1993 Python.

That was the first day in the shop price.  It's listed on Gunbroker for a little less than $1600 and change.  

Still.

54 minutes ago, LawMan Mark, SASS #57095L said:

That was the first day in the shop price.  It's listed on Gunbroker for a little less than $1600 and change.  

Still.

That's more like it!! 

I love Smith& Wesson revolvers, but I have always wanted a Colt Detective. I rarely see them anywhere for sale. About 4 years ago Cabela’s had one in their Springfield, OR store for $495. Someone was a little off in their pricing. :rolleyes:

I called the store when it opened. No one would answer the phone. I called on off numbers and finally got a hold of a nice lady the transferred my cal to the Gun Library. It was 10 minutes after opening. 

I was too late. Someone was waiting for when the store opened and walked in and claimed it.

Damn the bad luck. 

As I was speaking to the clerk and he was reveling about how quick this guy was to get in there and lay claim he said that their manager would occasionally put “Easter Egg” deals in the library. 

After that hat I started watching Cabela’s Gun Library online and found he was correct. Occasionally they would put nice deals for used guns online. It’s just I was always 10 minutes late In getting them, most of the time. 

I guess I won’t have to worry about that anymore. Thanks Bass Pro :angry:

Back in '85ish, I sold  two pairs of new pythons to an old boy, I think it was (2) 6" & (2) 8" bbls each. I questioned him what he was going to do with them.

He said shoot two of them and bury the other two to dig up in 20 years and sell. Wish I could remember who this guy was and look him up to see how that worked out for him.

Archived