SASS Wire Forum

Old guns still work.

Dutch Coroner

My brother JB Sledge just returned from a successful moose hunt where he used an original 132 year old Winchester Model 1886. 

Congratulations Sledge!

Dutch

6F00F221-CD00-4511-8D91-4361B497020D.jpeg

That sure is a nice looking gun for being 132 years old. Love that color case hardening. 

Did he install a fiber optic front sight on that rifle? I can’t tell. I have found those things to be overwhelming in the woods when trying to aim. 

2 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

That sure is a nice looking gun for being 132 years old. Love that color case hardening. 

Did he install a fiber optic front sight on that rifle? I can’t tell. I have found those things to be overwhelming in the woods when trying to aim. 

Yes he did. He was having trouble seeing the original sites. 

Yep, nothing like taking with them old guns.  Me with great-grandpa's 84 Trapdoor.

010.JPG

I use my wife’s grandfather’s 110 year old Savage Model 99 in 38-55, with a buck horn rear sight. It is marked “High Pressure Steel” and shoots smokeless powder. With a 255 grain bullet it is a good brush gun. Not one of those sniper type cartridges. It has a 5” - 6” arc if sighted in at 100 yards. 

Interesting story: When Pappy past the rifle on to me I took it out on a woodchuck hunt to sight it in. My hunting buddy saw an old granddaddy of a chuck the farmer had been trying to get rid of, in a cut over corn field, at about 200 yards. My buddy says, ‘Why don’t I try the shot with the .38.’ ‘He’ll back me up with his .243 with a 12 power scope’. ‘If I miss he’ll pop him’.

Who knows what the drop is at that distance. So I lined up the shot and then picked a spot about 2’ higher up the hill to aim at. Blam, that chuck went down and never twitched.  We are both flabbergasted, and when we went out to retrieve him we saw that I had hit about 1’ in front of the chuck. There was a flat rock with a blaze of lead across it. The ricochet did the job. 

I like the idea of the fiber optic front sight, wish I had thought of that.

On 10/10/2019 at 8:57 AM, Tascosa, SASS# 24838 said:

When I was hunting I used my grandfathers old 92 Winchester in 44-40. Great for hunting deer in brush country. 

Hunting shows usually bore me to death. I'd love to see one where a guy takes a deer, etc. with his grand dad's .44/40. You see some jasper that kills an elk at 400 yds with a Remingon 700 with shotgun primers, Pyrodex pellets and a saboted 30 cal high tech bullet and a sniper scope and beats his chest because he took it with a muzzle loader. Yawn. Do it with a .50 cal flintlock Hawken.

JHC

49 minutes ago, Capt. James H. Callahan said:

Hunting shows usually bore me to death. I'd love to see one where a guy takes a deer, etc. with his grand dad's .44/40. You see some jasper that kills an elk at 400 yds with a Remingon 700 with shotgun primers, Pyrodex pellets and a saboted 30 cal high tech bullet and a sniper scope and beats his chest because he took it with a muzzle loader. Yawn. Do it with a .50 cal flintlock Hawken.

JHC

I agree. Never hunted with anything but the 92 and a 94 in 30-30 all with open sights. And never from a tree stand. Not many trees in eastern NM.

1 hour ago, Capt. James H. Callahan said:

JHC

I'd watch that.  Anyone got a contact at the sportsman's channel?  I could say something similar about bow hunting. 

I used to hunt on a 6 section  ranch, and there was a legend about this old guy that hunted with a double barrel stoked with buckshot. He hunted in the same draw a few yards from the same deer trail. When the right one came along he blasted the Hell out of it. Game over.

JHC

8 hours ago, Tascosa, SASS# 24838 said:

I agree. Never hunted with anything but the 92 and a 94 in 30-30 all with open sights. And never from a tree stand. Not many trees in eastern NM.

I must confess......my .30/30 Marlin has a low power variable, but it's batting 1000 when I've shot it. 5 deer with 5 rounds.

JHC :)

525771029_Marlin1894groundhowg2019.jpg.d0d4c9763f935194cc7250cfb0970e48.jpg

Groundhowg control machine.  1894 early model in 25-20WCF.  

I've taken many deer with single shot "buffalo" rifles.  The oldest being a 1868 Trapdoor Springfield in 50-70. Also Trapdoor Springfield in 45-70, Winchester High-wall (early flat spring model) in 45-70.   I'll include an old Remington Rolling Block in 7mm Mouser. 

Archived