SASS Wire Forum

Uh oh... Shampoo!

Well... if you're planning a trip to the largest west coast state and expect to stay in a hotel - bring your own shampoo.  We now have a new law making it illegal for hotels to put out those little bottles of shampoo for guests.  :rolleyes:

Doesn't take effect 'til 2023, so we have time to get used to the idea.     at-wits-end.gif

3 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Well... if you're planning a trip to the largest west coast state and expect to stay in a hotel - bring your own shampoo.  We now have a new law making it illegal for hotels to put out those little bottles of shampoo for guests.  :rolleyes:

Doesn't take effect 'til 2023, so we have time to get used to the idea.     at-wits-end.gif

Illegal to put out does not mean they can’t have it available on request.

Gruesom is positioning himself for a run at the WH. That's what a lot of this is about. You think what he's doing to the once great state of California is bad, can you imagine him in DC?

99% of the time I bring my own shampoo and bodywash anyway; when I don't I can go somewhere and buy some.

At the rate my hairline is receding it won't matter anyway...

Imagine the Press Conference

In the past 30 days the AG's office has conducted a sting operation, sending undercover investigators to hundreds of hotels in California. We found thousands of hotels (75%)  that were ignoring the no Shampoo Law. This office has filed papers citing those businesses for violating the Dirty Hair Act of 2019....

4 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Illegal to put out does not mean they can’t have it available on request.

Actually, no....  

Gov. Gavin Newsom announced Wednesday he had signed a law banning hotels from giving guests plastic bottles filled with shampoo, conditioner or soap. It takes effect in 2023 for hotels with more than 50 rooms and 2024 for hotels with less than 50 rooms.

Violators could be fined $500 for a first offense and $2,000 for subsequent violations.

And on the lighter side of the news - we pay fuel taxes to pay for roadway infrastructures.  In the last three years we've seen an almost 70% increase in these taxes... mostly to replace the existing fuel taxes which have been redirected to High Speed Rail.  So a few days ago it was announced that some of the new taxes are going to be "redirected" to... High Speed Rail.  silly.gif

Gov. Gavin Newsom announced Wednesday he had signed a law banning hotels from giving guests plastic bottles filled with shampoo, conditioner or soap. It takes effect in 2023 for hotels with more than 50 rooms and 2024 for hotels with less than 50 rooms.

Violators could be fined $500 for a first offense and $2,000 for subsequent violations.

The hooty-tooty places will use glass bottles.

9 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Say it ain't so, Hardpan. 

I'm waiting for them to outlaw taking a crap or breathing too hard, citing environmental laws. That state has turned into such a monster of laws and regulations that I agree with those who say the place just isn't worth visiting. We're talking about China in another thread but I swear their citizens don't have to put up with as much BS as Californians do.

I like to drink shampoo with a plastic straw.

Uno and I will be going back for my brother's wedding later this year.  Our typical dodge is to hit Target when we arrive, remembering to pack our California compliant reusable bag, and buy travel size shampoo, soap etc.  When we get ready to leave, we throw the unused portion away (usually not much).  That helps us avoid two hassles, packing toiletries and the PITA TSA line with your mini baggie for shampoo etc.  Win/win if you ask me.

Another thing we found was the last place we stayed in had large bottles of soap, shampoo and conditioner in a locked dispenser mounted inside the shower.  That allowed you to use as much as you needed and all housekeeping had to do was refill them each day.  Worked rather well.

A woman with clean, manageable hair is seen leaving the Motel 6.  Undercover enviro cops intercept her and lead her to a darkened room.  They offer immunity if she tells them where she got the stuff.  She tells them there was no shampoo, then Maria cleaned the room, then there was shampoo.

The shampoo SWAT team gears up and conducts the raid.  Maria is apprehended on the balcony near room 227.  Agents grab her wrists from bebind and force her, face first onto the concrete deck.  A 12 guage entry gun is pressed to the back of her skull.  Over $10 (street value) worth of "stuff" is found in her cart.

Our children could have stayed in a room with illegal shampoo!  Great work, Calienviro SWAT and UC officers.

Fact is, those things are all a waste. But we've gotten so used to waste, unlike our grandparents for instance, that we hardly recognize it anymore. 

I've noticed in recent years more and more hotels have been moving toward shampoo and wash dispensers anyway. A good trend in my opinion.

When I was stationed at China Lake. Almost all the different programs did a LOT of travel. The members of the Harley Owners Group I belonged to collected the small shampoos, soaps, shower caps, etc. from the various hotels as we stayed at during our travels. Once a quarter we gathered them up and donated then to the women's shelter.

Women and Children often arrived with nothing more than the clothes on their backs.  I was a way we could make their ordeal a little less stressful.

On 10/10/2019 at 2:58 PM, Crazy Gun Barney, SASS #2428 said:

I am sure the operative word is plastic.  Clever hotels will come up with a cardboard or aluminum foil packet of shampoo.

How about putting those products out in .50 caliber cartridge look-alikes made out of aluminum.  That should cause a lot of heart attacks and a lot of laughter.

Archived