SASS Wire Forum

Time for another Josey Wales shoot.

Warden Callaway

The Tusco Long Riders November Charity Match is our next shoot.

All the proceeds go to our "Share-a-Christmas" program.

We set the match up for JW, and a lot of the shooters shoot this category.

5 pistols -- It's a hoot!

While we always offer the category, next month we will have many many JW shooters.

Too much fun!

--Dawg

tuscologo.jpg

What is a good, SASS legal way to carry 4 pistols?  5 for that matter?   

I have a conventional belt with right and left holsters. Also had made a cross draw holster. So I could carry right, left and crossdraw.  

Shoulder holsters for the other 2?

If you used a lighter pair, would you put them in the shoulder holsters?   I have a pair of Cinnamon Lightning 32s with extra 32-20 cylinders.  

I shoot JW alot during the season.

What I do for carrying 5 pistols to & from the line is wear a third holster, and carry two in my hands.

After I stage the third pistol, I rotate the third holster around to my back out of the way.

We always have props to stage the rifle pistols and shotgun pistols on.

The shooter has only 2 holstered pistols during the stage, and the rest are staged & re-staged on props.

Also, shooters carry only one gun in each hand to-and-from the line.

Safety First!

--Dawg 

11 minutes ago, Prairie Dawg, SASS #50329 said:

I shoot JW alot during the season.

What I do for carrying 5 pistols to & from the line is wear a third holster, and carry two in my hands.

After I stage the third pistol, I rotate the third holster around to my back out of the way.

We always have props to stage the rifle pistols and shotgun pistols on.

The shooter has only 2 holstered pistols during the stage, and the rest are staged & re-staged on props.

Also, shooters carry only one gun in each hand to-and-from the line.

Safety First!

--Dawg 

That's what I do but TO comes and gets shotgun for me as I don't do 5 pistols (yet). 

P.S.,  what do you do if there is more than 5 shotgun shots?

We typically shoot Josey Wales during July in the heat of summer so we don't have to pick up brass. This year for something different we also did a Rifleman shoot using two rifles and a shotgun with no pistols.  The folks seemed to enjoy that shoot with very positive comments.

Warden, I ain't Dawg, but I do shoot wid 'im.  Shoot JW once inna whale too.  SO:  When there are more shotgun targets, at the buzzer, add that 6th round if the stage cassel for it.  With my Cap Guns, that's when I cap the 6th chamber.  Works a treat.  Josey didn't have a Shotgun.  Very little use of a rifle.  ALWAYS had 5 pistols. 

7 minutes ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

Warden, I ain't Dawg, but I do shoot wid 'im.  Shoot JW once inna whale too.  SO:  When there are more shotgun targets, at the buzzer, add that 6th round if the stage cassel for it.  With my Cap Guns, that's when I cap the 6th chamber.  Works a treat.  Josey didn't have a Shotgun.  Very little use of a rifle.  ALWAYS had 5 pistols. 

When using a pistol on shotgun targets,  do you load 5 at loading table?   Or load the count of the shotgun targets?  I'm thinking you don't want any live rounds left?

Yep, all you have to do is hit them, so spotters need to be watching.

If 4 targets, load 4 in your shotgun pistol, as you only get to shoot at 'em once.

If 6 targets, when you pick up your shotgun pistol, load the 6th round and start shooting.

At our recent High Noon annual shoot, one stage had 8 targets, so JW shooters needed two revolvers for that stage, loaded with 4 each.

A posse member carried one revolver on & off the stage.

Hope this helps.

--Dawg 

Here is my one and yet only match shooting Josey Wales style.   I don't think I embarrassed myself too badly.  I didn't have my POV glasses turned on for one stage so only captured 5 stages.  The 8" plates were my undoing.  

It was down to 30° when we were driving to the range this morning8. When the sun finally came up in the valley, it thawed frost was raining out of the trees.  But otherwise a bright, sunny day.

I didn't expect to shot a clean match or a fast match.  I wasn't disappointed.  I ended up missing 6. The 8" falling plates were difficult. 

But the biggest problem was 4 failure to fire on the new Cimarron Eliminator 8 that I used on the pistol targets.  All were on the first 3 stages.  I used a pair of Uberti Cattleman 45Colt on rifle targets.  My Colt SAA 45Colt on the shotgun targets.  I used the same ammo in all 5 pistols. I had no FTF in the Cattleman and Colt.  

Here is a POV video of my 4th and best stage. It had 6 "shotgun" targets.  I loaded the 6th round on the clock.  Shot it clean in 60.77 seconds.  I doubt if I'd shot it any faster with rifle and shotgun. 

Cold hands, FTF and 8" falling plates are my excuses for poor performance on stages 1-3.  Did much better on stage 4-6. Hands were warmer,  past the falling plate stages and no FTF.

Fun to do every once in a while.  

• 3 weeks later...

Archived