SASS Wire Forum

Dicks

Utah Bob #35998

I propose all of the corporate types at Dick's cut off... theirs... to prevent rape... Makes as much sense.

Look at the bright side of this:  the manufacturers were all paid for their goods.
Now, they have $5 million in merchandise they no longer have to warranty, nor insure against product liability lawsuits.

Dicks should do this every year, and help keep the gun manufacturers solvent.
Ruger, et al, could ship all of those that fail quality control inspections directly to Dicks.
Ruger can get paid for their bum steers, Dicks can virtue signal by destroying them.

Sounds like a win-win to me...

;)

Dicks has lost far more customers than they gained with this stunt, yet the news media is trying their hardest to make it sound that the opposite is true. They're saying how Dicks received hundreds of tweets from people saying they will shop there this weekend even though they can't think of anything they need. In other words, these are people who normally would have never set foot in a Dicks or other outdoor store simply because they're just a bunch of big-city liberals who don't hunt, fish or go camping. So Dicks spat on their longtime patrons who DO hunt, fish and go camping and are now trying to appeal to, ?????

Soccer moms and workout warriors, I guess. :rolleyes:

Dick's is destroying guns and the Academy that's down the street from them brags about having the biggest firearm selection in the state.

Wonder where folks is buying their stuff from?

There's only so many woke soccer moms and they can only buy so many pairs of Medium, Extra Husky yoga pants.  Let'em go the way of Circuit City and Home Quarters.

Destroying that much inventory?

That would come right off the bottom line.

I wonder what any shareholders have to say about that?

I used to shop at Dicks fairly often.  I bought hunting gear for them, and my son's Little League gets a discount there every spring training.  Plus, I'm still rather physically active and have a gym in my basement I'm always upgrading.  Camping equipment adds to it, too.  

I swore them off when they started their anti-2A stuff a few years ago.  I now pay full price at a specialty baseball shop for my kid's equipment every season, and I can find everything else I need from all the above categories elsewhere.  Dicks can go die a slow, painful death for all I care.

I wrote Dicks off after their store opened here about ten years. Kids were active in sports so we bought a lot at Dicks with their frequent buyer card. 

When I tried redeeming the coupons they sent, was told they were not valid on guns, ammo, or “shooting accessories”.

’Nuff said. We went elsewhere. 

I've never been in a Dicks. Don't reckon I ever will now.

I set foot in a Dick's once just to see what it was like. I walked back out a couple of minutes later because I didn't see anything I was interested in. This was a few years ago and they had a gun counter, but it was sparse and there were no employees within earshot even if I had yelled at the top of my voice. I'm betting it's a better place to shoplift than to shop.

If they call it a loss, then they have perpetrated a fraud on the IRS.  A claim that a deduction of 5 million dollars from their revenue due to a unilateral decision to destroy merchandise that is otherwise undamaged and capable of being sold sure sounds like fraud to me.

I don’t think that I’ve ever found anything in either Dick’s or Big 5 that I can’t live without...

12 minutes ago, Charlie MacNeil, SASS #48580 said:

I don’t think that I’ve ever found anything in either Dick’s or Big 5 that I can’t live without...

Nothing wrong with Big 5. I bought a Marlin 1894 in .44 mag there for $325 not long after I joined SASS. I bought one of my daughters a Mossberg shotgun there a few years back. 

Just this last year I bought two Ruger 10/22s at Big 5. I've often bought on-sale ammo there.

Big 5 advertises regularly with newspaper insert ads. They prominently feature firearms in their ads, and they have very good sales on guns on a regular basis. They have great shoe prices and lots of sporting  goods. One of the things I like about them is that they are a well-priced chain of stores that are not "big box" stores. Little box, you might say....

1 hour ago, Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619 said:

Nothing wrong with Big 5. I bought a Marlin 1894 in .44 mag there for $325 not long after I joined SASS. I bought one of my daughters a Mossberg shotgun there a few years back. 

Just this last year I bought two Ruger 10/22s at Big 5. I've often bought on-sale ammo there.

Big 5 advertises regularly with newspaper insert ads. They prominently feature firearms in their ads, and they have very good sales on guns on a regular basis. They have great shoe prices and lots of sporting  goods. One of the things I like about them is that they are a well-priced chain of stores that are not "big box" stores. Little box, you might say....

Got a nice SMLE at Big 5 in Durango a few years ago.

E01125F9-4957-442F-A250-0A7199CABAE4.jpeg

I read somewhere this morning that they are down a quarter billion in profits over the last year!

Just found out yesterday you can get a VET discount at Sportsman Warehouse.Not much but its there.

Largo

Years ago during my first visit to Dick's I found out they were overpriced.

My second and last visit to Dick's was to compare rangefinders that they had on sale. Half of the ones I wanted to try out had dead batteries.

The kid at the counter said he would not change them.

On 10/10/2019 at 9:51 PM, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Got a nice SMLE at Big 5 in Durango a few years ago.

E01125F9-4957-442F-A250-0A7199CABAE4.jpeg

Now THAT is a real Assault Rifle!

They were still in use in my reserve regiment, (Governor Generals Foot Guards) when I first joined.

We learned to love it because we could thump it to the ground, in unison, with a satisfying "CRASH" during Changing of the Guard ceremony.

Yep, they lost a quarter billion dollars 250,000,000 with their virtue signaling and jumping on the gun control bandwagon so far.  Gun control shrinks Dick's. Stockholders must be so happy with the direction the CEO has chosen. 

https://freebeacon.com/issues/dicks-ceo-says-anti-gun-policy-shrank-company-by-a-quarter-billion-dollars/

Archived