SASS Wire Forum

Slicking up a Marlin 1894C

Michael Cieslak

I just acquired a 1982 (JM) Marlin 1894C in nearly mint condition.  I’d like to get it slicked up for Cowboy matches.  I’d appreciate any suggestion as to whom I should employ to do the work.  Thanks much and Happy Trails.

:ph34r:  In the absence  (much lamented) of Widder's commercial magic, Cowboy Carty is highly recommended.  Might be a bit of a wait.....

I found, once getting used to the routine of disassembly, they are easy to work on.  There are online hints and guidance by Widder and some others, who I forget by now, which I found to be tremendously helpful.  Marauder has info on  his info pages.

Smooth everything which rubs, and go slowly.  I refine mine every time I tear down for cleaning, and polish any scuffs.  Over the years, it has become glass-smooth.  Long Hunter and Slick Magic are good parts sources.  Get the Ranger Point extractor---  saves a bit of time tuning/refining the stock unit.

Good Luck.  You have a great piece to work with.

BB

Wife shoots one that Slick did and it's pretty sweet.

Not sure he is still doing rifles for the public anymore. But you can call him to see.

Have felt some that Boomstick of Boomstick Arms has done and they felt pretty good also.

But have heard some pretty great things about those Cowboy Carty rifles. Never got my hands on

one yet. Would sure like to.

30 minutes ago, Cypress Sam, SASS #10915 said:

Go to:

https://marauder.homestead.com/files/TUNING_M_1894.htm

Good info on tuning Marlins

It's the 90/10 rule.  If you can take a Marlin 1894 apart and get it back together,  you can make a lot of improving installing reduced power springs and following the instructions on the Marauder post above. 

I would first see how it runs with your SASS loads.

Wolff Gunsprings has a lighter hammer spring that goes a long way to 'slickn' the action.

I would also see how it feels after run'n about 500 rnds of SASS ammo through it.

The only thing I would do now, is to get one of Slick's SS mag followers to replace that POS factory plastic one.

Make sure ALL the screws are 'tite'.

OLG

Long Hunter sells spring kits, one piece firing pins and lever wraps.  They can also do the work if you are not in to doing it yourself.

Duffield

4 hours ago, TUCO SASS #46748 said:

Cowboy Carty hands down the best. My son J.B. Kidd has 2 done, and I have one done by him. 

I've heard ( second hand ) that Carty may not be doing Marlins since he has started working on 73's. Best thing to do would be contact him  https://www.facebook.com/Western-Gun-Works-1678033062499004/

Billy the Avenger has a video out there which shows how to slick up a Marlin 94cb.  Marauder has one but I haven't seen his. This is how I did mine. Watched the video and followed the instructions. Basically, you buy a lighter spring kit from one of the many SASS vendors out there. Then, switch out the lever plunger spring, the hammer spring, change the firing pin to a one piece firing pin. Remove the plastic follower and replace with a metal one. After the gun is apart, sand down all moving parts as shown on the video with # 6 sandpaper, lightly oil and then put back together. Then, work the action back and forth and fire the gun a lot. Then your all set.

22 minutes ago, Lawman Mays said:

Then, switch out the lever plunger spring,

While you have the magazine tube opened up,  polish the port hole,  clean and polish inside of tube, apply wax,  trim magazine spring to no more than 3" longer than the tube.  On the 1894c you can probably go as short as 2".  I made this tube mod to my Marlin 1894c.

3 hours ago, Warden Callaway said:

trim magazine spring to no more than 3" longer than the tube.  On the 1894c you can probably go as short as 2"

Yes, I forgot to mention this. If you don't trim that spring, it will be difficult to push in the 9th and 10th rounds through the loading gate.

On 10/10/2019 at 11:21 AM, Lawman Mays said:

Billy the Avenger has a video out there which shows how to slick up a Marlin 94cb.  Marauder has one but I haven't seen his. This is how I did mine. Watched the video and followed the instructions. Basically, you buy a lighter spring kit from one of the many SASS vendors out there. Then, switch out the lever plunger spring, the hammer spring, change the firing pin to a one piece firing pin. Remove the plastic follower and replace with a metal one. After the gun is apart, sand down all moving parts as shown on the video with # 6 sandpaper, lightly oil and then put back together. Then, work the action back and forth and fire the gun a lot. Then your all set.

Billy did wife's and it is as smooth/ maybe smoother than the one widder did for me.

On 10/10/2019 at 2:53 PM, Lawman Mays said:

Yes, I forgot to mention this. If you don't trim that spring, it will be difficult to push in the 9th and 10th rounds through the loading gate.

Be careful with this after a few months of shooting the spring will compress.

11 hours ago, Blue Eyed Drifter said:

Be careful with this after a few months of shooting the spring will compress.

Yes.

A NEW spring can normally be trimmed to about 3-4 cartridge lengths longer than the magtube.

After that new spring has had time to 'set' (probably around 6 months), the overall length can be

2 cartridge lengths longer than the mag tube.

If you keep your mag tube clean, minimal magtube spring length will be sufficient.

Remember..... you only need enough spring force to push ONE round onto the carrier..... which is the last round.

I'm not actively working on Marlin att, mainly because I stay fairly busy with Henry .22 work.

Basic Marlin work to help smooth up the action can be found on Marauder's website with various

Marlin smiths sharing good info.

Good luck.   And if ya got any questions, feel free to pick up the phone and give me a shout:

865 / 696-1996 in Tennessee.

..........Widder

Archived