SASS Wire Forum

Road Hunting

I don't know why this is even considered hunting. It's one of those things that I believe is unlawful in AZ but almost impossible to prove. How many times have I had a hunt become unsuccessful due to a road hunter driving in on me following my calls. Several times I have had the game I was calling shot by a road hunter as it came in to my calling and sometimes they weren't even on a road. Road hunters don't bother to put in the time scouting and figuring out game movements they just show up and drive their vehicle up  and down every road and two track they can find. I can't argue that it isn't a successful strategy since there are roads and two tracks covering most of the forest. So we are in fall turkey now and the road hunters are out in force disrupting normal game movement and generally pissing me off!

Years ago my idiot father in law invited me to go deer hunting. He was a “road hunter”. To be nice and keep peace in the family I went. I lasted about an hour before I let him have it and told him what I thought of road hunters.

He never invited me again and that was fine with me. 

The way to solve road hunting is to get away from the roads. I generally try to hike in a mile or so away from any roads. Eliminates the road hunters who stay in they vehicles on the roads and 2 tracks.

I live out in the country and a few years ago another neighbor heard a very loud shot go off and knew it had to be close. There was a guy shooting off the hood of his car at a deer. Only problem was another neighbor's house was 75 feet away directly in the path of the bullet. Thankfully he missed the deer and the house. Neighbor called Conservation and they caught the guy. Lost his rifle and hunting privilege in the county along with a good fine. 

Now the rest of the story, turned out to be one of the deacons at our church. When John and I found this out the next time we saw him asked nicely what the **** he thought he was doing. Explained, he didn't know why he even took the shot. Idiot.

They call it "heater hunting" here and it irritates the bejeezus out of me.

Years ago, I got invited to a "deer hunt" with a neighbor.  We met up with a group who ran deer with dogs, and used CB radios to attempt to intercept the deer when they crossed a road.  I made my excuses as soon as possible, and got away from that bunch.  Never returned. 

1 hour ago, Smoken D said:

I live out in the country and a few years ago another neighbor heard a very loud shot go off and knew it had to be close. There was a guy shooting off the hood of his car at a deer. Only problem was another neighbor's house was 75 feet away directly in the path of the bullet. Thankfully he missed the deer and the house. Neighbor called Conservation and they caught the guy. Lost his rifle and hunting privilege in the county along with a good fine. 

Now the rest of the story, turned out to be one of the deacons at our church. When John and I found this out the next time we saw him asked nicely what the **** he thought he was doing. Explained, he didn't know why he even took the shot. Idiot.

The Devil made him do it.

My sister was one of two women who became the first female game wardens in Tennessee. On one arrest that she told me about, they caught a truck hunter who had taken a deer from the seat of his truck.  They found the deer in his freezer at his home.  They confiscated his gun, his truck, the deer, the freezer, and his house!!  I don't know if he ever got anything back, but it sent a message across the state that put a stop to spotlighting and truck hunting for a LOOOOOONG time!!

That was more than forty years ago!!  I don't have any idea what the laws are now.

1 hour ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

My sister was one of two women who became the first female game wardens in Tennessee. On one arrest that she told me about, they caught a truck hunter who had taken a deer from the seat of his truck.  They found the deer in his freezer at his home.  They confiscated his gun, his truck, the deer, the freezer, and his house!!  I don't know if he ever got anything back, but it sent a message across the state that put a stop to spotlighting and truck hunting for a LOOOOOONG time!!

That was more than forty years ago!!  I don't have any idea what the laws are now.

Passed a similar law in Missouri back in the 70s. The state could confiscate everything used to illegally take deer. After a few Trucks, Guns, and Houses were seized when the individual was convicted it made a real dent in poaching. 

5 hours ago, LawMan Mark, SASS #57095L said:

Years ago, I got invited to a "deer hunt" with a neighbor.  We met up with a group who ran deer with dogs, and used CB radios to attempt to intercept the deer when they crossed a road.  I made my excuses as soon as possible, and got away from that bunch.  Never returned. 

I wouldn't have made any excuses.  I'd have left and if challenged I'd have laid it all out for them.  I don't need friends like that.

This will be unpopular, I guess.  But I like hunting with dogs.  Be it deer or rabbit or birds.  In Louisiana it's legal.  You get a big group together and split the meat.  The people I hunted with depended on the meat to live, so I never took a share.  In Texas you can't even use a dog to track one you shot. 

3 minutes ago, Ramblin Gambler said:

This will be unpopular, I guess.  But I like hunting with dogs.  Be it deer or rabbit or birds.  In Louisiana it's legal.  You get a big group together and split the meat.  The people I hunted with depended on the meat to live, so I never took a share.  In Texas you can't even use a dog to track one you shot. 

The use of dogs for hunting deer in Alabama is restricted to certain dates, but is legal.

7 hours ago, Big Sage, SASS #49891 Life said:

The way to solve road hunting is to get away from the roads. I generally try to hike in a mile or so away from any roads. Eliminates the road hunters who stay in they vehicles on the roads and 2 tracks.

I agree with you but the roads and two tracks seem to be everywhere. I have had quads and even pickups drive in where I was calling totally offroad.

2 hours ago, Ramblin Gambler said:

But I like hunting with dogs.  Be it deer or rabbit or birds.  In Louisiana it's legal. 

Legal in Florida, too. I was actually kinda surprised that Lawman Mark - Alabama - hadn't ever dog hunted.

My father-in-law was from Pennsylvania. Said that if he ever saw a dog chasing a deer he'd shoot the dog. I told him he best make sure the owner wasn't in sight.

Then we took him still hunting. And he followed tracks into the tie-tie. When he made it out, hour or so later, he said, "I understand why you use dogs".

People hunt different ways.

To me, "road hunting" is driving down Hwy 20, and seeing a deer grazing on the shoulder, so you stop and lean out the window and shoot him.

Shooting over, or down, a two-tire-track path through the woods ain't "road hunting".

1 hour ago, Alpo said:

Legal in Florida, too. I was actually kinda surprised that Lawman Mark - Alabama - hadn't ever dog hunted.

My father-in-law was from Pennsylvania. Said that if he ever saw a dog chasing a deer he'd shoot the dog. I told him he best make sure the owner wasn't in sight.

Then we took him still hunting. And he followed tracks into the tie-tie. When he made it out, hour or so later, he said, "I understand why you use dogs".

People hunt different ways.

To me, "road hunting" is driving down Hwy 20, and seeing a deer grazing on the shoulder, so you stop and lean out the window and shoot him.

Shooting over, or down, a two-tire-track path through the woods ain't "road hunting".

Alpo,  people do hunt different ways.  The F-250 spot and stalk is a way to cover a lot of ground to find game.  Shooting it from the F-250 even if it is on a two-tire track though the woods is, in my opinion, un-sportsman like and should not be condoned.  Driving well past, getting out and stalking is a different matter.

I believe what Charlie was referring to is the people who never get out of their truck or atv and drive right through where he has taken great pains to enter stealthily and set up to hunt ethically.  I have had  a person drive up on an atv and shoot a grouse that my dog was pointing and I don't think they even realized the dog was there.  On an Elk hunt in Wyoming I had walked a couple of miles in the dark, only to have an atv drive right past me and spook the elk that I had located the day before.  That sort of thing would cause the Pope to cuss.  There should be -------------------.  OK, I am being unrealistic, but I do get irked at times.

Duffield

Archived