SASS Wire Forum

Anyone do heavy construction?

Alpo

You build a skyscraper.

You make the frame out of structural steel. From old movies I've seen, they would rivet the frames together. All my experience (which, I'll admit, has been on buildings three stories or shorter) the steel has been bolted together.

Regardless, once the frame is up, they put the skin on it. How?

How do they attach the concrete to the steel framework?

If they were making a stick-built house, they nail the siding to the wooden studs. I doubt they nail the concrete slabs to the girders.

If they were building a brick or block building, they would start with mortar on a foundation, and stack bricks or blocks on top of each other. I don't see that happening with a hundred story building.

Purlins are attached to roof structure and horizontal girts are on the sides of the structural steel. They are usually lighter gauge steel. Wood and masonry can be easily screwed, bolted, or shot(powder actuated fastening device) to the lighter gauge material. Look at an old brick building and about every 6-7 courses of brick will be turned towards the inside of the building, only the ends of the brick are visible. This is called a "soldier course" which ties the brick to the structure of a building. There are multiple building systems, they are all basically the same, just a variation of the purlin and girt style of building. Some masonry structures wrap the structural steel framework or the masonry fills in between the columns and is cut to fit around the cross bracing. That's how the last prison I built was constructed. It was covered with 4-6 inch thick sheets of styrofoam and EFIS (stucco) was applied for the finish. 

When you set a column, how do you know where to place the choker to insure the crane picks up the column straight up and not dangling at an angle?

Archived