SASS Wire Forum

Never before done at a SASS monthly Shoot

irish ike, SASS #43615

Battle Born Rangers in Reno Nevada does not completely follow the "normal" SASS shooting guidelines. We like to mix things up! We have Josey Wales shoots, underwear shoots, our annual match has a Tom Horn category that has big bore rifles for 12 stages.

But this last weekend we did something I don't think has ever been done. Sling Shot forgiveness or bonus.

After the last shot is fired the shooter, off the clock, can use a sling shot on any target to forgive misses, or if clean 1 shot at any target for a 5 second bonus, or two shots from the sling shot to forgive misses and get a bonus. Added some fun, its a monthly and no one refused to try it.

We also had 2 stages with 4 shots from a belly gun at the beginning of the stage.

Why be normal?

Ike

6 minutes ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Yep, sounds like fun.

Just curious..... how many sling shot experts were there amongst the Cowboys?

..........Widder

Im no expert but I shot by brother with a wrist rocket once!:D

1 hour ago, Michigan Slim said:

Im no expert but I shot by brother with a wrist rocket once!:D

Him and the neighbors cat for me. He wasn’t happy and neither was the cat.

19 minutes ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

"Never bring a sling shot to a sword fight"......... Goliath

;)

..........Widder

But that didn't work out too well for Goliath .....  :o  :lol:

There's nothing new done.  One of the clubs here in Texas ran a stage that included bows & arrows, extra pistols rifles of both pistol & rifle chambers, tomahawk & knife throwing.  THE reason I've NEVER been back... for 28 years.  They left that bad a taste in my mouth.

I'm fine with an one extra activity per stage; but, preferably not more than one per MATCH.  I signed up for a "shooting" match., not something far removed from such.  There's a reason such stuff died out in the '90s.  Most folks don't like being told they have to perform such non-shooting activities.

+1, Griff.

Sounds like a great opportunity to compromise safety, as well.

Cat Brules

12 hours ago, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

Battle Born Rangers in Reno Nevada does not completely follow the "normal" SASS shooting guidelines. We like to mix things up! We have Josey Wales shoots, underwear shoots, our annual match has a Tom Horn category that has big bore rifles for 12 stages.

But this last weekend we did something I don't think has ever been done. Sling Shot forgiveness or bonus.

After the last shot is fired the shooter, off the clock, can use a sling shot on any target to forgive misses, or if clean 1 shot at any target for a 5 second bonus, or two shots from the sling shot to forgive misses and get a bonus. Added some fun, its a monthly and no one refused to try it.

We also had 2 stages with 4 shots from a belly gun at the beginning of the stage.

Why be normal?

Ike

So about at what distance were the sling shot make up targets?

At Fall Round-Up this year we had a speed slingshot side match. Traditional wooden slingshots and ammo were provided. Slingshot with one round at the ready. Four rounds on the table. A Nevada sweep was the course of fire. More than a few tried it. All had fun although the skill lever was low

Chancy

At Fall Round-Up this year we had a speed slingshot side match. Traditional wooden slingshots and ammo were provided. Slingshot with one round at the ready. Four rounds on the table. A Nevada sweep was the course of fire. More than a few tried it. All had fun although the skill lever was low

Chancy

Everyone had the opportunity to say no to the slingshot. It was off the clock and its a monthly match. No one said no.

It was a fast stage 9-10-2.

We had 2 stages using a belly gun and one stage using the sling shot.

Everyone shot at the pistol targets which were 3 yards away!

So Griff, don't like it don't shoot it, simple as that.

Cat what safety issue? Soft store bought pellets that disintegrated when they hit steel. No splatter unlike every steel target out there tossing lead around. 

Shooters are getting tired of 10-10-4 so we also varied the round counts. 

We do themed shoots to provide some fun besides blazing away, which is fun.

Ike

16 hours ago, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

Why be normal?

Ike

Man, now I'm mad I didn't come home a day earlier so I could have been there. I would have had a fightin' chance!

14 hours ago, Turkey Flats Jack said:

Last month at the Beaver Valley Bushwhackers monthly match we started the stage with a slingshot. 5sec bonus if you hit a pistol target no call if ya missed.

I don't think my wife would let me attend an underwear shoot at Beaver Valley Bushwackers.

;)

Archived