SASS Wire Forum

Anyone tried Altamont "Slim Panel" pistol grips ????

Silver Sam, SASS #34718L

Do you Like em.... And just How much slimmer are they than the regular grips ??

You'd think Altamont would have size info on their website... But If they Do, I cant find it....

Specifically I'm interested in New Vaquero grips.... but Any info would be appreciated... Thanks!

Hi Sam.    I have 2 pair on New Vaquero's.  My hands a meaty with short fingers and I like the grips.  Plus being a cheap a#% the price is great.

1st pair measure .320 at the top by the frame.   ..275 at the grip screw    .370 at the very bottom.  

2ndpair are .340 at the top   .290 middle and .370  bottom.   So pretty much straight from the top of the grip to the bottom.   Had no problems so far, fit is close , only having to ream the locating pin hole on 1 grip.        GW

I like my Altamont slim grips on a pair of New Model Vaqueros, shooting duelist style.   Fit was excellent. 

Good luck, GJ

Goody..... No, You Can't have that Alias... It Wont FIT :D

G.W.   That's what I need.... the std grips I have measure .315 at the top by the frame.    .370 at the grip screw    .515 at the very bottom.

So if I'm figuring rite the Slim Panels are fairly Flat, close to the std grip at the top,  

little or no outward flare in the center and some flair but noticeably slimmer at the bottom......

Hummmmm, I mite have to try a set .......

Thanks Everyone !

I have two pair on my vaquero's, one set on plows the other on Bisley's. You can defiantly tell the difference. I like them and with Altamont's prices being about half as much as Eagle gunfighter grips price, if you don't like them you haven't lost much.

2 hours ago, Silver Sam, SASS #34718L said:

Goody..... No, You Can't have that Alias... It Wont FIT :D

G.W.   That's what I need.... the std grips I have measure .315 at the top by the frame.    .370 at the grip screw    .515 at the very bottom.

So if I'm figuring rite the Slim Panels are fairly Flat, close to the std grip at the top,  

little or no outward flare in the center and some flair but noticeably slimmer at the bottom......

Hummmmm, I mite have to try a set .......

Thanks Everyone !

Put a spacer between the grips around grip screw. Mine had very little wood left after escutcheon holes were drilled at the factory.

From the posts here, most everyone here who has tried them seems to like them.   But candidly, I put them on my NVs about four months ago and I have to say the jury is still out for me.  My times have improved slightly, but I can't tell you if it is the grip thinness or the checkering (I had smooth grips before).  My hands take a large glove size, and I would judge my fingers about medium length.  I immediately noticed that the pistols felt looser in my hands, which forced me to grip them really tightly.  That might be why my scores improved.  But with thinner grips, my trigger finger is placed too far into the trigger guard, so I end up shooting with the second finger joint half the time.   Objectively, the grips look very nice, and for cowgirls or men with smaller or stubby hands, they might be a good choice.  But personally, I think I'll keep looking for thicker checkered grips, or keep on trying to make some myself.   I just don't care for loose pistol grips that don't properly fill and hug my hand.   Just personal preference. 

I purchased two pairs a few months ago. One set was good to go with a fit that is acceptable. On the second set, the ferrule pulled through the thin backing rendering them useless. I would blame my install, but I do not feel I overtightened the screw. I'm certain they would send me a replacement; however, I won't bother with it as I don't like feel of the set that remains. They are slightly thinner than factory grips but where they differ from Eagle grips is in their contour. The Alt are more rounded whereas the Eagle have a flatter profile. I prefer the Eagle, but dang that price tag is tough to swallow for a pair of production grips.

2 hours ago, Pedernales Drifter said:

Yep.  Period correct duct tape:lol:

Bondo ought to work, and perhaps it could even be checkered.  But I'd hate to have to justify it as not being a "grip enhancement modification".  So I guess I'll pass on that idea.  Cancel that thought.  

Archived