SASS Wire Forum

Thoughts or maybe a rant on China and NBA - et al

Raylan

With the second biggest single market in the world - and trillions of dollars to win or lose - global corporations and businesses will never let little things like freedom, real concentration camps, and government murder of undesirables - compromise their profits.

Ask Google, Facebook, Hollywood, professional sports - pro-athletes and actors - they and many more will assiduously avoid critisizing let alone condemning China's abuse of its people. Many are happy to call their fellow American's even those who have fought and bled, and in some cases died for their country - fascists or even Nazi's. Many are happy to disrespect the US flag and other symbols of our nations heritage. But oh no, they would never call out China, because that woud endanger their profits, their markets, their brand, or their careers.

Isn't it revealing of where people really stand, of what people's real principles are when they praise real oppressors and tyrannts, and "act" outraged over fake claims of tyranny and oppression. Remember these people are our woke betters, who only want to use their power to tell us what to eat, what to believe and value, what we should be allowed say or not say, if we should be allowed to own a firearm, or a car, or property. I have a message for them..........but I don't think the SASS Wire would allow me to use those words (appropriately so for a family forum).

So here are some others for them.... "If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsel or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands of those who feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you. May posterity forget that ye were our countrymen."-Samuel Adams

And remember this: 

peaceandfreedomaretheanomaly.jpg

China is big enough to do whatever it wants. Even our own government treads lightly when dealing with the South China Sea, Hong Kong and Taiwan situations. Either we can start World War III over it or accept the fact that the Chinese communists are firmly in control of their country and have successfully brainwashed all of its people into agreeing with anything they do. It may sound odd to us, but remember that China has always been this way long before the communists even showed up. It's part of their culture to put the interests of the country first, their family second, and themselves last.

As for the businesses, it's the same way. You either kiss their ass or the competition will.

There was a time not long ago when “Fight for freedom. Stand with Hong Kong” would have been widely cheered. Now these words are ridiculed and the man that twittered the phrase is in danger of losing his job. He was forced to apologize. If I were NBA players scheduled to go into China for the exhibition games I would flatly refuse to go.

We are in the midst of an economic war with China right now. We are also in the midst of a cultural war with China. You don't win wars cultural, economic, or otherwise by kissing ass. The US market is still bigger than China, and the combined markets of the west, other asian economies, and India are much larger than China's. Shaming and economically punishing companies via free speech and free markets and tariffs or other economic means when fair markets and fair competition are banned or manipulated is part of fighting back. So long as China is not made to pay a price for its cruelty and tyranny or even be condemned for it then they will continue to freely engage in their egregious practices. 

I remember when when we were told there was nothing we could do about China's dumping, currency manipuation, or intellectual property theft and blackmail of such. Seems we are now fighting back with tariffs and sanctions that have companies moving to other asian countries and/or back to the US. Seems we couldn't do anything about Nafta allowing China to manufacture products and import them duty free to the US by using Canada and Mexico to do final assembly. But now there is a new treaty that will rectify that too. 

China has had a free pass long enough. I don't buy their culture is just different, that's an excuse that they (China) use like the southern slave owners used before the Civil War. I don't see the christian Chinese  or the muslim chinese, or the Hong Kong chinese subscribing to the old China doctrine. Most chinese are proud of their nation, but many do desire freedom's that they are not allowed under the current government.

So calling out the hypocrites who rage about so called injustice in our country and use their celebrity or company to do so, whilst they shut up and play nice with China is more than overdue.

I wish ALL celebrities( sports-actors and singer) would have to pay huge fines for expressing their opinions during events that we have to pay to watch.   Get off your soap box when I am paying you to entertain me!!    GW

Been twice to northern China (Beijing area).  Yes, there are issues.  The driver Baby Girl hired for us on trip #1 was extremely forthcoming: if the police take you, you may come back.  If the military take you, no come back. He was absolutely reluctant to break any traffic convention, even when Baby Girl offered to pay the fine that would be imposed -- I supposed it might endanger his ability to do business. Everybody is given a job, but the jobs seemed to be allotted accordingly to physical ability (i.e., old people got jobs that were not physically demanding).  Public parks offered exercise equipment and and opportunity for group participation.  Tai chi was a biggie, as was badminton and barbershop harmony (we called it choir practice).  Hutongs were being destroyed in the Olympic venue areas - centuries of familial culture erased in the name of "progress;" and restaurants in the area were asked to refrain from serving dog meat.  We found the people (many of whom we conversed with via translation by their children) to be interested, and interesting.  The work ethic is real.  I came away with a revised appreciation of, and respect for, those people.  I remember an encounter in a public park when a young man offered me the opportunity to play a game of chance.  My response:  You mean you want me to play a game your people invented while my people were still living in trees and throwing rocks at each other, for money?  His compatriots howled with laughter.

The Chinese Communist government has been our enemy for 70 years. Every now and then, the mask slips and their true nature is revealed, as it is now. They are brutal and oppressive and will remain so until the system collapses. I do not see that happening in my lifetime.

On 10/9/2019 at 5:05 PM, Utah Bob #35998 said:

The Chinese Communist government has been our enemy for 70 years. Every now and then, the mask slips and their true nature is revealed, as it is now. They are brutal and oppressive and will remain so until the system collapses. I do not see that happening in my lifetime.

Agreed! The Chinese Government and the Chinese PEOPLE are different entities. 

But when it comes to the NBA, I must concur with Capt. James H. Callahan and not care. 

On 10/8/2019 at 5:43 PM, G W Wade said:

I wish ALL celebrities( sports-actors and singer) would have to pay huge fines for expressing their opinions during events that we have to pay to watch.   Get off your soap box when I am paying you to entertain me!!    GW

We don't HAVE to pay to watch, it's a choice. I watch little or none of that garbage.

JHC

Archived