SASS Wire Forum

50 BMG destruction

Irish Pat

I have seen you tube type video of Afghan insurgent being blown to bits by 50 BMG sniper rifle. Does that really happen or does the bullet just go right through.  I was told those videos are fake.  I would like like to know from someone that knows the truth 

I've read a lot of those videos are varmint hunters blowing up a gopher or somesuch with a .22-250 or whatever and passing it off as a "sniper video".

I suppose it would depend a lot on the bullet - ball or armor piercing probably makes a half-inch hole and kills 'em dead, while a hollow point match bullet, like Hornady's A-MAX probably makes a much larger hole and kills 'em dead.

The only flesh & blood target I've ever shot with my AR50 was a coyote at around 150 yards with "remanufactured" 680 grain ball ammo from MiWall. It made a hole and the coyote was DRT. It didn't "blow it up" or "cut it in half" or anything spectacular like that. There are videos on Youtube and elsewhere showing big game taken with a .50 BMG.

BlackDiamond.JPG

A skull hit from an M2 will have an explosive effect.

I tend to think it would be like a 12ga hitting a gallon jug of water. A lot of open wound mess.

Check this out with gelatin (no liquid) - the slo-mo really tells a tale:

GG ~ :FlagAm:

The light just behind the bullet was pretty neat as well. Don't think you would survive one of those rounds!

2 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Well,if a model 29 44magnum would take your head clean off, a 50 might separate you at the waist.

Ya beat me to it. :lol:

Auto cortez succulents! 

I shot a moose at a little over 700 yards with a State Arms Light Rifle. 50 BMG, 850gr. Golden Bear SBT soft point. The bullet left the barrel at about 2,675fps and struck the moose high in the neck. Pinky finger size hole going in, broke the spine and made just a little bit bigger hole coming out. I did not recover the bullet. There was no explosion or flying chunks. The critter just deflated right there. Very clean kill. Two days later a friend shot a griz on the gut pile with his little 375 H&H.

I saw a man run a good 50 yards after taking a non-survivable hit from a 50. It made a large hole. He did not blow up.

55 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

A man can do a lot of things when he doesn’t know he’s dying.

And when he is full of Adrenalin and other drugs.

Archived