SASS Wire Forum

Pain Scale

Subdeacon Joe

I thought I knew what 10 was...then those shattered ribs moved...Boy, let me tell you what. That was when I knew what 10 was! ;)

I hope to God that was 10. I would hate to find out I was wrong again. :D

29 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I thought I knew what 10 was...then those shattered ribs moved...Boy, let me tell you what. That was when I knew what 10 was! ;)

29 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I learned in 1963 when I had all four wisdom teeth pulled on the same day  Two were impacted, but the other two were almost as bad.

I learned a lot that day....one of the reasons that dentists and spiders are way up on my "don't like it list".

1 hour ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

I learned in 1963 when I had all four wisdom teeth pulled on the same day  Two were impacted, but the other two were almost as bad.

I learned a lot that day....one of the reasons that dentists and spiders are way up on my "don't like it list".

Impacted Wisdom teeth...there was a time I thought that was painful. Not trying to diminish your experience. Just being honest. 

1 hour ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Impacted Wisdom teeth...there was a time I thought that was painful. Not trying to diminish your experience. Just being honest. 

At that time I thought nothing else could be as painful.  I have since experienced worse but I have also learned to handle it better.

6 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

At that time I thought nothing else could be as painful.  I have since experienced worse but I have also learned to handle it better.

Isn’t it amazing that what you thought was really bad pain can be topped by other “really bad pain”? 

People say child birth is the worst pain. If that is worse than some of the pain I have felt then God bless these woman, please. 

a cystoscopy ranks right up there about a 9.2.

My worst pain was totally unexpected. When I had the stitches on my hand removed, the doctor must have pulled a nerve. I literally screamed and the pain didn't subside for 20-30 minutes.  She had to leave the room.

I'm with Pat. If that wasn't a 10, I hope I never find out what a 10 feels like.

7 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Isn’t it amazing that what you thought was really bad pain can be topped by other “really bad pain”? 

People say child birth is the worst pain. If that is worse than some of the pain I have felt then God bless these woman, please. 

People that say that have never been kicked in the b---s.

I have been dealing with cluster headaches for the last 6 years.  They have been called the most painful medical condition a person can get.  I never imagined a headache could cause PTSD until I started going through them.  All the hours spent writing in pain and screaming the last few years is a nightmare I would not curse anyone with.  Thankfully I am going a lot better now, but its was a long road to get to this point. 

8 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Try a 6mm x 17mm kidney stone! :o

33 minutes ago, Trailrider #896 said:

I only do things in SAE. I will never get metric kidney stones. ;) :lol:

1 hour ago, Trailrider #896 said:

Been there done that. I don't know how big mine was, let's just say"Big enough".

21 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

So?  How are you doing now?

I'm doing much better today, thanks.  I prolly shouldn't have gone to wo#k yesterday but I didn't have much choice.  Should feel almost human by the end of the week.

Thanks for asking.

13 minutes ago, Calamity Kris said:

I'm doing much better today, thanks.  I prolly shouldn't have gone to wo#k yesterday but I didn't have much choice.  Should feel almost human by the end of the week.

Thanks for asking.

Bottles, please give this fine Lady something to help her get to #0. :)

1 hour ago, Calamity Kris said:

Thanks for asking.

'Feel almost human"?

Have someone feel you so you'll know for sure.  :o

On 10/7/2019 at 5:12 PM, Calamity Kris said:

Right at this moment, I feel #6.........

I'm sorry Kris.

Most days I'm between a 3 and a 6 with spikes of 9.  Ain't getting old grand?

2017 was an adventuresome year.  Had all wisdom teeth pulled in mid-Dec 1016 and was still 'enjoying' that joy in the new year, got shingles in Feb, gout  in May and Sept, and a kidney stone in Nov.  When I was in the local urgent care trying to get some relief for the stone, the nurse asked if I had suicidal thoughts, and I told her, "No, I was taking anyone with me who withheld pain meds" while I wretched yesterday's meals on their clean floor.  

38 minutes ago, Tom Bullweed said:

2017 was an adventuresome year.  Had all wisdom teeth pulled in mid-Dec 1016 and was still 'enjoying' that joy in the new year, got shingles in Feb, gout  in May and Sept, and a kidney stone in Nov.  When I was in the local urgent care trying to get some relief for the stone, the nurse asked if I had suicidal thoughts, and I told her, "No, I was taking anyone with me who withheld pain meds" while I wretched yesterday's meals on their clean floor.  

Well, I may be able to top the part I put in red bold.

I fractured my humerus, the pain wasn't funny ;) , especially on the windy, bumpy road. Hubby drove. First, we went to urgent care. They were going to x-ray it. I warned them that I don't handle pain well. I've been known to hyperventilate and pass out. Well, I didn't hyperventilate and pass out. I barfed all over the nurse. 

They , decided not to x-ray me. They told me to go to the ER. So we did. I warned the x-ray tech, that  I don't handle pain well. I've been known to hyperventilate and pass out; and that I just barfed on the nurse at urgent care. When I regained consciousness from  hyperventilating and passing out, the tech and a doctor were holding on to me to keep me from falling out of a chair.  Guess I told them to be gentle and they weren't gentle enough.  :lol:

13 hours ago, Chili Ron said:

Howdy,

Ive wondered about this 1 to 10 pain list for years.

Is my 3 someone elses 8? How do we know?

Best

CR

Pain is completely subjective.   The purpose of these scales is to give the doctor an idea of what the patient feels. 

Other than being a PITA, I work at it, I'm a professional, I had a storage shed tip over on top of me.  Broke the first rib, the bottom two ribs and four of those little bones along the right side of my lumbar on the right side of my back.  Twisted my pelvis all out of joint.  I'm told it tore up all kinds of connective tissue.  Nothing to operate on.  If it heals, it heals.  If it doesn't it doesn't.  My BIL, a surgeon, said that this is the type of injury that is seen in horrific car accidents.   The real pain was when my lower intestinal tract went into spasms.  I thought I was giving birth.  They finally gave me something to pass the blockage from the shock to my system and that was part was better.  My chiropractor is on speed dial.  He got me standing up straight.  The ortho doc prescribed PT.  What a waste of time.  PT = physical terrorists.  I know when things start shifting and stretch to put things back in place.  I know when my sciatica on the right side is tender that my back is properly lined up.  All those bones are messed up.  I'm a physical wreck but I'm motoring upright and do what ever I want, with mom's permission.  I sneak in a few "here's your sign" moments but they are becoming fewer and fewer.

All of this pales in comparison to my wife when a kidney stone starts to pass or a migraine comes on.  This has happened enough times that I know the cues and prepare for a 4 hour stint at the urgent care center.  I wouldn't wish this on anyone.  Even she says the childbirth is less painful.

I live with a 5-6 every day with random spikes in the 8-9 range daily. I do think just after my second knee replacement I discovered the joys of hitting a #10. None of my other surgeries came close.  But I putter along. I was told many, many years ago by the first of many orthopedic surgeons in my life that I could sit on the porch and whine, or get out of the rocker and get on with my life. Today, thanks to chemistry I'm still getting on.

I don't see kidney stones per se.  Somewhere between 8 and 10.  They say it's like childbirth but I've had both and I'd be happy to have babies rather than.

On 10/8/2019 at 2:35 PM, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I only do things in SAE. I will never get metric kidney stones. ;) :lol:

About 1/4 by 2/3 inch. Not to mention kidney stones look like a grass burr. Saw some when I took pathology.

JHC

1 hour ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

I remember the oncology nurses,”on a scale of 1 to 10 where 10 is the most pain you have ever had and 1.....”

I have a VERY high tolerance for pain.  I have fractured bones and not realized it.   (Getting hit with a foul tip in the top of my cleats, I thought I could just walk it off.....)  When the oncology nurse hooked up my chemo drip and I felt the searing, acidic burn start into the back of my hand, I almost ripped the arm rests off the chair.  It took everything I had to keep from screaming at the top of my lungs.  A little while later when I turned red and stopped breathing, they knew something was wrong..........

Archived