SASS Wire Forum

Loading information on Black MZ

Curly Ken, SASS 60011

Having gloriously retired recently, I now have time to load BP substitutes, it’s great fun.  I have been loading APP fffg in my pistols and rifle (15gr with 200gr rnfp in 44-40) and Black MZ in my shotgun.  I’ve struggled getting APP and have came into possession of a good deal of Black MZ and would like to load this for pistols and rifle. I’ve chatted with Alliant and they had no information on 44-40 loads.  Where can I find loading data on Black MZ for 44-40 cartridge?  

Thanks, appreciate your time and thoughts. 

Load to where the base of the bullet will be. A little compression is OK, but not necessary or generally beneficial. Use bullets with no lube.

I have used black mz and used the same load as the app as mentioned above. I did try it in my C&B revolvers with not good results. The loads for cartridges worked fine as well as the shot gun shell. I tried it in my brass shot gun shells but went back to real black to get the boom back. If you are used to APP then you will have no issues with Black MZ. Itdoes clump like the old APP but easy to break up. Enjoy. DC

• 2 weeks later...

@Curly Ken, SASS 60011 I had the same issue with getting APP and also had to use Black MZ on occasion.  They are both essentially the same for measurement.  I'm loading .45 Colt and although with real BP you need to load so there is no air space and a little compression of the powder you don't have to do that with APP/Black MZ.  I tried a few loads one loaded with compression, one loaded with less powder and some filler and one with just less powder.  Took all 3 loads to the range and myself and another CAS shooter tried them and found that the one without the filler shot just fine, so now that's how I load them.  I'm not sure if you want to hear how I came up with the amount of powder I use, if so just ask and I'll be happy to share.  The .44-40 means .44 caliber bullet with 40 grains (by volume) of BP.  Here is a good read by Curt Rich on loading BP subs for dummies he explains a lot.  I'm sure there are other vendors that carry it but If you want APP give Scarlet Darlin (Bullets by Scarlet) a call or email, she doesn't list it on her website but does sell and ship it.  Have fun, welcome to SASS, and enjoy the dark side.    

Black MZ and APP load and perform the same. Lots of smoke but no deep boom and flame like BP.

A good starting point on the way to black powder.

I shoot 45 colt and have migrated to Reenactor grade for the 10 (Winchester 1887 lever and Remington 1883) and 12 gauge shotgun (Boito Kmart special), and 2F for the 45 cases both regular and cowboy special under a 200 gr bullet (Miroku 73 and Rossi 92, Ruger OMV Bisleys). No filler, all smooth shooting nice boom, smoke, and flame. 

On ‎10‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 10:34 AM, Trooper Ozzy said:

No filler, all smooth shooting nice boom, smoke, and flame. 

Big "BOOM" and lots of smoke helps hide the fact that you just shoot slow but I didn't fall for it. :)

Hey Tequila .... Hate to disagree (no I don't) but the manufacturer of both APP and Black MZ state one should NOT leave any air space twixt propellant and the bullet.  I shoot both and when I shoot a reduced load (always) I top off with Cream-0-Wheat to eliminate the Air Space.  

Additionally, if you happen to leave air space in a Percussion Cylinder, you get real wonky ignition.  Filler with light loads in Percussion Cylinders is a necessity.

Archived