SASS Wire Forum
Newlee SASS#5469

The new Henry 38-55?

Thinking about getting the new Henry 38-55, but I’ve read that it kicks like a mule. Anyone have one that can compare it to say, the 45-70? I reload my own so I’ve got the Marlin load down about as low as I can go and still keep accuracy. I would do the same with the  Henry.

Thanks for the info.

Newlee

Posted (edited)

You would be asking about the lever gun?

Edited by Too Tall Bob

A 38-55 that kicks like a mule? Hmmm...

3 hours ago, Three Foot Johnson said:

A 38-55 that kicks like a mule? Hmmm...

This. Is it possible?

Maybe if some dumb AXX is shooting 375 Winchesters out of it. My 38-55 has very mild recoil.

I seriously doubt it.  A Marlin 1895 in 45-70 weighs in just a bit shy of the new HRAC side gate 38-55.

A trapdoor safe load with 300g 45-70 might have around 1600 to 1700 ftlbs muzzle energy.

A 38-55 with the closest load I could find of 255g is pushing maybe 1400 or less ftlbs energy.

Some physics would say a lighter bullet at lower muzzle energy in a heavier rifle would put you below what the 45-70 kicks lightly loaded.

I just went to a Trailboss load for my .45-70. Nice not beating myself up like I was. 

The .38-55 will hit at 500 but you had better have a TALLLL sight.

The issue you’ll have at 500 will be the light bullet and wind.  The 45/70 will allow you more tolerance at ranges over 300.  

Ymmv

Gringo

Thanks to the advice of our very own OLG I now use a "Shooters friend" slip on recoil pad on both of my Sharps rifles and 1886 Winchester lever rifle all in 45-70 and the recoil is waaaaaaay less , spent the day shooting all three(around 100 rounds) with no problems, no sense beating yourself up!!!  I shoot 70 grains of FF behind a 500 grain bullet in the Sharps and 24 gr. of 5744 behind a 405 gr. hollow base bullet in the 86, both loads generate a pretty healthy boot esp. the Sharps and without the pad after 20 rounds it gets pretty uncomfortable, if you like to shoot a lot ya gotta get a shooters friend!  Thanks OLG!   SCJ

2 hours ago, Silver Creek Jack said:

Thanks to the advice of our very own OLG I now use a "Shooters friend" slip on recoil pad on both of my Sharps rifles and 1886 Winchester lever rifle all in 45-70 and the recoil is waaaaaaay less , spent the day shooting all three(around 100 rounds) with no problems, no sense beating yourself up!!!  I shoot 70 grains of FF behind a 500 grain bullet in the Sharps and 24 gr. of 5744 behind a 405 gr. hollow base bullet in the 86, both loads generate a pretty healthy boot esp. the Sharps and without the pad after 20 rounds it gets pretty uncomfortable, if you like to shoot a lot ya gotta get a shooters friend!  Thanks OLG!   SCJ

This shooters friend that you speak of - is it something commercial that I could buy?

14 hours ago, Michigan Slim said:

I just went to a Trailboss load for my .45-70. Nice not beating myself up like I was. 

The .38-55 will hit at 500 but you had better have a TALLLL sight.

TB is what I use as well, very easy on the shoulder.

41 minutes ago, Charlie Plasters, SASS#60943 said:

This shooters friend that you speak of - is it something commercial that I could buy?

Sure is! SageOutfitters.com is where I got mine around $25.00 before shipping, you could buy it from other places im sure , just do a google search. I just like to pass on something that WORKS as advertised.   SCJ

I have the Henry 45/70 .

I load a 405gr Lee bullet with 65gr of Black Powder .

I think the Kick is pretty manageable. 

PS.

Yes the Henry is Much lighter then my Pedersoli Rolling block .

But that's also why I bought it in the first place. 

Rooster