SASS Wire Forum

Need some English help

Alpo

There's a term - an old one, and probably not used anymore - meaning "for the next little while".

For the non.

At least I think that's the term. "I'll stay with duelist, for the non, but eventually I'm going to go to gunfighter."

I googled it, to see if I had the term correct.

Google had no clue (what else is new).

So what say you? Do I have the term correct? Or has my memory played me false?

In my family it was “‘til the nigh” when I was a.child.

Cat Brules

4 hours ago, Alpo said:

There's a term - an old one, and probably not used anymore - meaning "for the next little while".

As a kid in my family, it was "Until I say so!"

19 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

I still occasionally use "For the nonce!" as a valediction.  Not often, but 4 or 5 times per annum, at a minimum.

This is a little off topic; but reminds me of a woman I worked with. She would use "heretofore" in conversation. :o

Working with her is when I got my hearing damage. I sat next to her and would turn my headphones up so loud she complained about me. One of my co-workers thanked me for taking the hit (sitting by her) as he didn't want to end up in jail. ;)

23 hours ago, Alpo said:

At least I think that's the term. "I'll stay with duelist, for the non, but eventually I'm going to go to gunfighter."

When I read that, my first reaction was, 

"I'll stay with duelist, for now, but eventually I'm going to go to gunfighter."

But that's more of a contemporary usage, and you are looking for an "older" way of saying it.   See above thread.   :)

Or, consider this, "I'll stay with duelist, for now, I'll switch to gunfighter by and by." 

Archived