SASS Wire Forum

Asked. Will a Pietta 60 Army grip frame fit a Colt SAA 3rd gen?

Warden Callaway

Answered. 

351897674_CimElim8griponColtSAA.jpg.395db6a98a28a3fdd4f136ee7a64b0d0.jpg

Well,  the best I could.  Here is my second generation Colt SAA made in 62 with the grip frame off of my new Cimarron Eliminator 8 that is 60 Army size.  It actually fit with little effort.  I even used the Pietta screws.

I didn't torque the screws down. But all would have. The metal fit was close all around the edges. 

I have a new third generation Colt SAA but this old second generation has been apart many times and the new one not so much. 

I'm going to give it a try.   Have to get the parts and we'll see how it goes.

Just got off the phone to VTI.  All parts needed are not in stock.  They will order two complete assemblies, as that will negate having to fit individual parts together and will contact me when they have arrived.

I have attached a few photos of a Colt and a Uberti.  The Colt has Uberti gunfighter grips, back strap, screws and trigger guard fitted and the Colt has the Uberti parts fitted.  I thought that parts couldn't interchange; at least they didn't on guns from about 20 years ago, or so.  Both pistols are no more than two years old.

20191008_142216.jpg

20191008_142223.jpg

20191008_142229.jpg

I don't know how to delete my previous post (above). I'll start over...

I am not a SASS member and am just a guest.

I am a replica BP C&B revolver shooter/collector, so I would like to make a few comments, if you folks would entertain them.

The OP asked if a Pietta 1860 Army grip assembly will fit a Colt 3rd Gen 1873 Army revolver. As I believe those guns to be made from Uberti parts, it may take a bit of fitting to do so.

9 hours ago, Tex Jones, SASS 2263 said:

I'm going to give it a try.   Have to get the parts and we'll see how it goes.

Just got off the phone to VTI.  All parts needed are not in stock.  They will order two complete assemblies, as that will negate having to fit individual parts together and will contact me when they have arrived.

Tex has ordered parts from VTI (a very reputable outfit) but I hope they were Uberti parts if he has a Cimarron (Uberti) gun; if it is a Pietta gun, Pietta parts will fit. They do not interchange well without some fitting. If they are Pietta, be aware that the wood will stand proud where it meets the rear of the frame.

The 1860 Army grip frame parts will be a steel backstrap and a brass trigger guard. The photos below all show steel trigger guards.

I took the liberty of copying and rotating some of the photos on this thread (all very nice looking guns), and my comments on them are as follows:

1873-001.jpg

This gun has a short grip frame like the 1851 Navy, but it is the wrong shape and has a screw through the grip panels, unlike the 1851/1860 one-piece grip.

1873-002.jpg

Very nice checkered grip wood but not quite the 1860 configuration.

1873-003.jpg

This is very nice, but it closely resembles the shape of the 1848 Whitneyville Hartford Dragoon with the so-called "slim-jim" grip.

1873-004.jpg

Both guns have a grip that closely approximates the 1860. Very, very nice!

In summation, all of those grip frame substitutions are for various 1873 revolvers, and are not 1860 Army replica parts.

This software seems not to allow a post preview, so I hope this is presented properly.

Regards,

Jim

10 minutes ago, sourdoughjim said:

This software seems not to allow a post preview, so I hope this is presented properly.

There is an icon on the line of edit tools all the way to the right that looks like a page with magnifying glass.  That is the preview function. 

The original post asked if a Pietta 1860 Army grip frame would fit a Colt SAA third generation.  Kind of got a mix of guns and parts swapping. 

1769465977_CimarronEliminator8Sept2019.jpg.782c8820ba8e893e590360e3b8895fb2.jpg

These are Pietta made guns marketed by Cimarron.  They are Eliminator 8s.

351897674_CimElim8griponColtSAA.jpg.395db6a98a28a3fdd4f136ee7a64b0d0.jpg

This is the grip frames and grips off the Pietta Eleminator above bolted on a second generation Colt SAA in 45Colt.  

Didn't the Colt London models have steel trigger guards and back straps?

Jim,

The pistol with the rampant colt grips is a Uberti 45 cal, gunfighter model sold through Taylors.  Those grips, which resemble 1851 Navy grips, are standard on Colt's SAA revolvers, and were swapped for the longer 1860 Army style grips, which came on the Uberti pistol. The point is, according conventional wisdom, while Pietta parts might fit a 1st and 2nd Gen Colt, Uberti parts do not since the overall dimensions are different.  But, it seems that Uberti parts do fit Colts, which reminds me of past threads on the Wire where comments were made that Uberti is making Colts or some Colt parts. The grips, as those on Warden's pistols, are not exact copies of 1860 grips but are similar in length, as some shooters prefer the longer grip.

IIRC The pistols commonly known as third generation Colts were manufactured by Colt Black Powder Arms. Colt Black Powder Arms is a completely independent company with no actual ties to Colt. Colt Black Powder Arms purchased the rights from Colt to manufacture replicas of original Colt C&B revolvers.

The parts were made by ASM and possibly Uberti. The assembly was done here in the US by Colt Black Powder Arms so there are no European BP proof marks on the pistols. Therefore they are marked identical to Colts but are not actually Colts so they will not work on them or letter them.

Second generation Colts were manufactured by Colt using parts made for them by either Uberti, ASM, or both. Because Colt actually assembled the pistols they will work on them and letter them. 

29 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

IIRC The pistols commonly known as third generation Colts were manufactured by Colt Black Powder Arms. Colt Black Powder Arms is a completely independent company with no actual ties to Colt. Colt Black Powder Arms purchased the rights from Colt to manufacture replicas of original Colt C&B revolvers.

The parts were made by ASM and possibly Uberti. The assembly was done here in the US by Colt Black Powder Arms so there are no European BP proof marks on the pistols. Therefore they are marked identical to Colts but are not actually Colts so they will not work on them or letter them.

Second generation Colts were manufactured by Colt using parts made for them by either Uberti, ASM, or both. Because Colt actually assembled the pistols they will work on them and letter them. 

All true, but not 3rd generation SAAs.  As far as I know, all are made in the U.S. by Colt and parts supposedly do not interchange with Uberti clones.

Archived