SASS Wire Forum

A little rodeo today...

Three Foot Johnson

I've had a neighbor's BIG, mean black angus steer in with my cows for over two months, and we can't get him out. He's got the biggest, nastiest, stinkiest tumor/abscess on his jaw I've ever seen - undoubtedly contributing to his bad attitude. He's got no problem attacking an ATV, horse, or pickup that gets too close, so this afternoon the neighbor, his wife, and another friend came up with a tranquilizer rifle he bought yesterday over in Townsend - $350ish, I think he said, plus 5 syringe darts. The three of them kept circling a group of about 20 with their horses, including Mr. Badass, til a close enough shot opened up. One dart, one drunk stumbling steer five minutes later, and it became relatively easy after that to get him into a trailer. He's going to auction tomorrow, and I expect he will be at McDonalds in a week or so, if the auction yard vet OK's him for human consumption. ;) I doubt he'll get enough out of him to pay for the rifle & darts, diesel, auction fees, etc., but the mean SOB is finally the hell out of here anyway.

First time I've ever seen such a rifle and its ammo - very short needle, maybe 3/4" or thereabouts, with a stainless or aluminum tube behind it about 6" long, and a rubber skirt at the end to seal the bore. I meant to ask about the restrictions on buying the darts/drugs and never got around to it.

Had a partner who represented a meat wholesaler who sold non-USDA compliant meat to foreign countries.  Some of the descriptions of contaminated products in his cases were absolutely disgusting.  I don't eat beef or pork when I travel to the Caribbean.

LL

Archived