SASS Wire Forum

The Egg and I (Improper usage of the English language)

Forty  Rod SASS 3935

A friend, nearly 66 years old, bought me a copy of this book because he had just discovered it and thought I might like it.  I think I may have hurt his feelings when I told him I had read back in the early fifties and thought it was way over-rated and dull back then.  He didn't believe that it was that old until I showed him the copyright dates.  1947 and again in 1973.

How many of you missed out on this ridiculously famous book?  Or maybe you didn't 1. miss it or 2. thought it was as good as the reviews or 3. heard of it but never read it.

The one they made into a Claudette Colbert movie? About a chicken farm? Never read the book but enjoyed the movie.

378a9dae95018d9f076909f712e698a4.jpg

I think there was also a children's book by that name, about finding a dinosaur egg and hatching it.

Besides, who does one egg? You need at least two for a decent breakfast, though one egg over easy on a hamburger with onions, lettuce, tomato, pickles, mayo and mustard is pretty darn good. ;)

12 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Besides, who does one egg? You need at least two for a decent breakfast, though one egg over easy on a hamburger with onions, lettuce, tomato, pickles, mayo and mustard is pretty darn good. ;)

If you leave off the lettuce and the mustard, you’ve got yourself a purty good sandwich!! Some zesty cheese and a couple strips of crispy bacon and you’re really in business !!!

33 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Besides, who does one egg? You need at least two for a decent breakfast

Start at 4:35 in this ten minute clip. :D

4 hours ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

If you leave off the lettuce and the mustard, you’ve got yourself a purty good sandwich!! Some zesty cheese and a couple strips of crispy bacon and you’re really in business !!!

You have yours your way. I’ll have mine my way. ;)

4 hours ago, Alpo said:

Start at 4:35 in this ten minute clip. :D

Hmmm...a Catholic breakfast? Not for the Catholics I know. :D

It was a huge best-seller way back then and it gave rise to the Ma and Pa Kettle movies.

I had never read it until about 15 years ago when we had a taped copy that we listened to on a long road trip. I liked it quite a bit; in that setting, at least, it was good. I remember it made the long drive go by fast.

A lot of folks must have liked it; it's not a forgotten book by any means after all these decades, though I suppose it's seldom read anymore compared to some.

Archived