SASS Wire Forum

Meeeeow

Utah Bob #35998

Filling the bird feeder at the pond and looked over to se the biggest Bobcat I have ever seen staring at me from about 20 feet away. I walked back to the door and locked back but he just sat there watching me. I called Carol to come see and he turned and slowly wandered up the hill.Thought it was a Lynx until I looked at photo comparisons. Definitely a whopper of a Bobcat. Couldn’t find any tracks. Ground is too rocky. I set the game camera out. Maybe he’ll come back for a drink later. Just another mini episode of Wild Kingdom. Without Marlin Perkins. :P

Livin in the type of country we live in, there are always surprises. This summer I had a big pile of bear scat deposited in my yard. First time ever. Never seen a bobcat, but have seen a lion....just never know.

2 hours ago, Perro Del Diablo said:

So does this mean you are feeding the birds to feed the catB)

Funny thing was I went out to fill the feeder because the jays were kicking up a fuss. I thought it was because they were out of bird seed. I guess they were screeching at the cat.

Nothing on the trail cam this morning. Well....not nothing. A bunch of  pics of the feeder and pond. The wind blowing the bushes around last night triggered the camera about 50 times

Those doggone jays can sure stir up a ruckus.

I remember having them follow me into the woods when deer hunting. They made so much noise letting all the animals know “man was in the woods”. I tried bribing them with Triscuit crackers, which they accepted gleefully, then began squawking again after eating the crackers. It’s funny now but wasn’t then. 

They are a good alarm though.

We had a bobcat living under the branches of a tree overhanging my next door neighbor's workshop-garage when we first moved here.  After three months of clearing trees, shrubs, bushes, and weeds out of my yard I realized the cat was gone.  Probably thought the neighborhood was going to hell and wanted her privacy back.

Stayed a week in suburban Austin TX In June and there was a bobcat family living behind the house’s backyard in a thin strip of cane and woods with a subdivision fence on the other side. Our hostess reported that this was the third litter she was aware of.  The father would once in a great while make an appearance. Mama and four kittens came into the backyard near their pool just about every morning. Kits cavorted around while Mama stood guard not thirty feet from the back door. I ventured out and got some pictures but my iPhone camera is not very good. I was amazed that these critters could thrive in such a limited wild area surrounded by human habitation.

Seamus

3D55AC3F-5EF4-44CE-8F32-CDFD9C750EBF.jpeg.3021e559849b04f89511cbe23fb599f1.jpeg

On 10/6/2019 at 11:27 AM, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

Our two kittens (one-year old in June) spend most of the night outside listening and looking. I think I may not want to know what they hear and see. However, Hubby has plans for cameras.

He is planning on putting cameras outside????

Texas Lizard

17 hours ago, Turkey Flats Jack said:

They make interesting pets if you get them young enough. This is Mr Cuddles. He currently resides at a friend's private zoo. He was not gotten young enough to be a good house pet. Lol

20170813_190954.jpg

20180413_161128.jpg

No such thing as a wild cat that will make a good pet. They will temporarily seem to be okay, but it’s only temporary.

14 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

No such thing as a wild cat that will make a good pet. They will temporarily seem to be okay, but it’s only temporary.

They will wait til your back is turned then lovable little cuddles will try to rip a kidney out.   Never can trust them.

I've posted this before.  I had a bobcat right behind our back fence and he/she let me take these photos. 

That wildcat had a badass attitude.

OYoEUX.jpg

What the Hell you looking at?

kP9IdY.jpg

50 minutes ago, Noz said:

They will wait til your back is turned then lovable little cuddles will try to rip a kidney out.   Never can trust them.

I'll give you that if you're trying to pull one from the wild. But pulling a kitten from a captive bred mother at about 10 days old and bottle feeding it along with daily human socialization does produce manageable pet quality cats. Granted they are no where near a domesticated cat in appearance or attitude and not for everyone but we love them. 

T.F. Jack

21 minutes ago, Turkey Flats Jack said:

I'll give you that if you're trying to pull one from the wild. But pulling a kitten from a captive bred mother at about 10 days old and bottle feeding it along with daily human socialization does produce manageable pet quality cats. Granted they are no where near a domesticated cat in appearance or attitude and not for everyone but we love them. 

T.F. Jack

Research would argue against that. These animals are not domesticated. Their genetic makeup will eventually overcome whatever loving human environment they have been raised in.

1 hour ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Research would argue against that. These animals are not domesticated. Their genetic makeup will eventually overcome whatever loving human environment they have been raised in.

Most all animals were wild until someone caged them and breed them. Takes a few (quite a few for some species) generations to get them domesticated. But it can/has been done with many species.

T.F. Jack

Archived