SASS Wire Forum

SliX 12 Gauge Shotshell Checker-Sizer Combo

Jed I. Knight, SASS #36423

I shoot Factory AA 980s.  Used to “visually” inspect until I didn’t at a match... one shell was so bulged at crimp that it would not chamber - had to go for two more..during a stage...As soon as that round was done, bought the checker from a vendor on site.  Then, during prep for EOT 2019...found SEVEN out of spec shells in ONE box... I use it and check EVERY Shell before they go in my belt. 

Necessity for the gun cart!

Big hugs!

Scarlett

3 hours ago, Scarlett said:

I shoot Factory AA 980s.  Used to “visually” inspect until I didn’t at a match... one shell was so bulged at crimp that it would not chamber - had to go for two more..during a stage...As soon as that round was done, bought the checker from a vendor on site.  Then, during prep for EOT 2019...found SEVEN out of spec shells in ONE box... I use it and check EVERY Shell before they go in my belt. 

Necessity for the gun cart!

Big hugs!

Scarlett

Glad to read your testimony to a fine product.  Thanks!  

Looks interesting.  I've already got the Slix resizer and it works well.  I reload my shotshells and run all them through a 12g chamber checker before boxing them up.  Have both in one "tool" on the guncart is appealing to me. So....I ordered one.  Thanks to Jed I. Knight for posting this review.

Kajun

It is a shame that we have to check our AA shells to see if they are within specifications.  I have shot Winchester AA shells for a LONG time but am learining to spell STS on my order forms.

Blackfoot

I don't have the resizer but use the checker and it never fails me. I have found the ones that are snug in the checker, do fall right into the chambers on SxS & 97 so I check them again there before relegating to practice. Haven't had an issue on the line yet. My Mec grabber rounds the crimp end a little on the last stage, so I believe that's about what the resizer does.

On 10/6/2019 at 1:52 PM, Cheyenne Ranger, 48747L said:

amazing what lack of quality control allows in the shotgun shell boxes

well worth the cost

cr

I agree.  :D

On 10/6/2019 at 4:27 PM, Krazy Kajun said:

Looks interesting.  I've already got the Slix resizer and it works well.  I reload my shotshells and run all them through a 12g chamber checker before boxing them up.  Have both in one "tool" on the guncart is appealing to me. So....I ordered one.  Thanks to Jed I. Knight for posting this review.

Kajun

You’re welcome!  

On 10/6/2019 at 4:29 PM, BLACKFOOT SASS #11947 said:

It is a shame that we have to check our AA shells to see if they are within specifications.  I have shot Winchester AA shells for a LONG time but am learining to spell STS on my order forms.

Blackfoot

Good point!

4 hours ago, Mr w said:

Saw one of these at cac match was jealous cause I already bought the standard resizer. the new combo one was real nice 

Yep, and that’s one of the things I mentioned in my review. It’s kind of a bummer for folks that bought both.  But, seems that’s the way most things work now; get a new phone and few months later the better model comes out... or the next generation short stroke for a rifle.  Progress!  ;)

Saw it at CaC a couple of weeks ago and thought it'd be great to keep in the gun cart, but the vendor was out of them.  Lucky for me the same vendor will be at the TN state match.  Even a buddy asked me to pick one up for him.

I got one from Buster at the Woverton Mountain annual match. After having a small hang up at the next monthly I will be using it to check.  My AAs are all older but a few are a bit fat at the crimp. The price might be a bit much, but I like to support the locals.

15 hours ago, Kulshan 20262 said:

I got one from Buster at the Woverton Mountain annual match. After having a small hang up at the next monthly I will be using it to check.  My AAs are all older but a few are a bit fat at the crimp. The price might be a bit much, but I like to support the locals.

Glad you were able to track one down. 

On 10/7/2019 at 10:48 PM, Tequila Chase said:

Saw it at CaC a couple of weeks ago and thought it'd be great to keep in the gun cart, but the vendor was out of them.  Lucky for me the same vendor will be at the TN state match.  Even a buddy asked me to pick one up for him.

You’ll definitely find it a useful tool for the guncart (or Cowboy Utility Belt ;))

On 10/8/2019 at 6:57 AM, bgavin said:

I liked the concept, but am a bit put off by the steep price.

Howdy bgavin, 

Ya know, I almost put “price” as one of the talking points in my “The Bad” segment... but I’ve found with any product I review could be considered “costly”.  Cost is just so subjective...  So, I try and avoid using that as a “negative” in a review.  I understand your position but I also consider a lot of other factors (is it a small vendor with higher manufacturing costs, is it a “niche” product, do they support the CAS community with donations and giveaways, etc...).  

Hey!! Can I get a 16 gauge to use on my 12 gauge shells??!? :lol:

(you used to be able to ... until the day after the 2007 Bordertown award ceremony)!! :ph34r: 

>> Appreciate all your product videos Jedi!! Always professional; entertaining and informative. Thanks!!

1 hour ago, Beartrap SASS#57175 said:

Ever had a bad shotshell cost you a match you paid $200 to enter and $1000 to travel to?:D

No, I have not.

Is there any reason not to chamber the new shot shells to see if there is any issue?
I realize using the tool is faster than using the shotgun.

I'm not being prissy here or trolling.
In the scheme of things, the price for the tool is a small drop in a large bucket.
I was just surprised at the size of that drop.

1 hour ago, Jed I. Knight, SASS #36423 said:

Howdy bgavin, 

Ya know, I almost put “price” as one of the talking points in my “The Bad” segment... but I’ve found with any product I review could be considered “costly”.  Cost is just so subjective...  So, I try and avoid using that as a “negative” in a review.  I understand your position but I also consider a lot of other factors (is it a small vendor with higher manufacturing costs, is it a “niche” product, do they support the CAS community with donations and giveaways, etc...).  

Thanks for the personal reply.
As I noted above, this tool price is quite modest when compared to the other staples of our sport.
I was just taken by surprise at the price for something that appears to be machined in China.
I was far more taken aback at the price and dated nature of Quickload software, but that is a different tale for a different day.

One thing you noted in your review is how the previous purchasers bought into a now-obsolete product that is now replaced by this one.
Same as in the computer business, it pays to sit and wait until the bugs are worked out of new products.

On 10/9/2019 at 10:55 AM, Patagonia Pete said:

Hey!! Can I get a 16 gauge to use on my 12 gauge shells??!? :lol:

(you used to be able to ... until the day after the 2007 Bordertown award ceremony)!! :ph34r: 

>> Appreciate all your product videos Jedi!! Always professional; entertaining and informative. Thanks!!

I sure do appreciate that comment!

On 10/9/2019 at 11:24 AM, bgavin said:

Thanks for the personal reply.
As I noted above, this tool price is quite modest when compared to the other staples of our sport.
I was just taken by surprise at the price for something that appears to be machined in China.
I was far more taken aback at the price and dated nature of Quickload software, but that is a different tale for a different day.

One thing you noted in your review is how the previous purchasers bought into a now-obsolete product that is now replaced by this one.
Same as in the computer business, it pays to sit and wait until the bugs are worked out of new products.

I do strive to keep my reviews honest and real.  I will even tell you if I use or plan to use a product that I have been sent to review.  

As a side note, I took this tool out to another match today and probably sold 2 or 3 to folks that were surprised at the number of shells they had in their boxes (both factory and reloads) that wouldn’t drop into the checker.  A few twists in the sizer and they were good to go.  

3 minutes ago, bgavin said:

I should buy one of these before CA makes these go through an FFL Parts Provider... ;)

Another good reason!  ;)

Bought one at the TN State match and it saved my bacon.  I use a shell checker when I reload, but I decided to check the shells before I put'em in my belt and sure 'nough found 4 that had swelled.  Used the resizing side and got them back to size.  Great tool to keep on the cart, I'd strongly recommend it this quality tool.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/13/2019 at 3:09 AM, Tequila Chase said:

Bought one at the TN State match and it saved my bacon.  I use a shell checker when I reload, but I decided to check the shells before I put'em in my belt and sure 'nough found 4 that had swelled.  Used the resizing side and got them back to size.  Great tool to keep on the cart, I'd strongly recommend it this quality tool.

I have folks using mine all the time.  They always end up liking it so much they go buy their own (although they don’t seem to be in so much of a hurry if they know I’m going to be at the next match with them :D)

On ‎10‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 11:24 AM, bgavin said:

The folks at SliXprings have all of their products made in the U.S.A.  Nothing they offer is imported.  Another contributing factor to the size of that drop in the bucket.

If only it helped with skill getting proper sized shells into my S x S.  Swearing at them hasn't helped much either lol...

I bought one from a SASS member, and it arrived today.
The build quality is delightful.

I checked the first row of a new box of Gun Club target loads.
There is quite a difference in some sliding out easy, others needing just a bit of a finger nudge.

It is the base, not the crimp causing the snug spot.

Just received mine from Badman Bullets. It is a quality product and, IMHO is worth the cost. Has slightly closer tolerances than the one I currently use (reload shotgun shells for CAS and trap). In my particular case I especially appreciate the knurled resizing end so I can visually ID which side is up on my bench. My current checker appears the same from both ends and somehow manage to turn it upside down a bunch.

I also got the Slix 73 mag. tube screw wrench.  Again, a very well made product. Especially appreciate having the Stoger 3-pin wrench built into the reverse side. Beats my current approach of using two 3/32" drill bits, a small block of wood and a screwdriver to tighten the Stoger. One of my hobbies is accumulating specialized tools for the guns I have. Much cheaper than buying more guns.

• 3 months later...

I got mine in yesterday, also from Badman - works great!

I've been waiting four months or more for Badman to get some 165 grain .44 bullets in stock, and was going to order the checker/sizer at the same time to save a bit on shipping. I finally gave up on the bullets and ordered a bunch from Missouri Bullet Company instead. :mellow:

Archived