SASS Wire Forum

Wyoming Antelope Hunting

Rusty Actions and myself just returned from a very successful antelope hunt in Wyoming. We both added to our freezers meat supply with 2 great buck antelope. Had a blast and some great company from my pard Rusty.

1639266278_phone006.thumb.JPG.aeb0df576f571dd753b09fb9ade2e8a4.JPG629054489_phone002.thumb.JPG.3a19339e6aa6e4f6cf6d934c5b720d37.JPG

Congrats Big Sage!! 

To my eye, the pronghorn make the most beautiful head/shoulder mount. 

But, the meat tastes like goat; and I don't care for goat.

What do you intend to do with the meat?

Nice work!

Get a few miles of hiking/stalking on foot in?

1 hour ago, Birdgun Quail, SASS #63663 said:

Congrats Big Sage!! 

Over the years I have found a few ways to make sure the meat turns our edible, usually pretty good. I make sure the animal gets skinned and quartered asap and cooled down in an ice chest. I also butcher my own. I make burger, breakfast sausage, brats and steaks. I soak the steak overnight in buttermilk. I already have a very nice mount.

59 minutes ago, Dantankerous said:

Nice work!

Get a few miles of hiking/stalking on foot in?

Yep...that's for sure.

We're going out tomorrow, near Medicine Bow. I was after a big buck Thursday and he wasn't letting me get within 500 yards. 

He didn't get that big by being stoopid. I have antelope across from my house and didn't draw a tag for this area. Have to drive 100+miles.

Antelope taste is dependent upon what they eat. If they feed in the hay meadows and eat grass they are good eating. Those that eat sage and 

have been chased right before they are shot aren't very good.

8 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Sage's Antelope and venison is the best you will ever have :excl:

OLG.

Thanks OLG, need to bring some more to another shoot for a real FEED!

On ‎10‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 4:37 PM, Birdgun Quail, SASS #63663 said:

Congrats Big Sage!! 

They make into good jerky

As a kid, late 50's early 60's we go visit family in NW Iowa. We drove from So.Cal. So Nevada, Utah, Wyoming, Nebraska we'd see herds with 100's of Antelope. Deer all over the place. Now, well its hard to find em!

Also I haven't eaten much venison, elk, antelope but I find it interesting that ya'll have ways of making it edible! Not being an ass but whats the big deal about eating something you have to overwhelm with something to get it so you can stand eating it?

Ike

I  don't overwhelm any of my game meat with anything! I just soak it overnight in the refer in buttermilk, which removes any blood left in the tissue. I use spices for my sausage & brats, which the same commercially made products use  also. I don't make it edible, it is edible and ready for cooking as soon as I butcher it.

I believe that hunters who get game meat that tastes bad, are getting it because they don't take care of the meat. I learned to butcher all my own meat 50 years ago. I also have a commercial meat grinder and a sausage stuffer, so I can do all my own processing.

I just drove I-70 on the way home and saw literally 1000's of antelope beside the interstate. Wyoming says there are more antelope in the state than people. Not hard to find at all.

I think the pronghorn's nickname of "goat" came from the taste of the meat.   I have eaten pronghorn that was properly cared for and prepared, but I didn't care for the taste.  To me it tasted like properly cared for and prepared goat.  I don't care for the taste of goat.  Some folks like goat.  I like lamb.  Some folks don't care for the taste of lamb.  I also like the taste venison, elk, moose, rabbit, quail, dove, turkey, cheddar cheese, pilsner beer....  It's not a condemnation of the hunter/butcher/cook...it's how the pronghorn's meat tastes to me. 

Again, congrats Big Sage on a successful hunt and you have my admiration for your diligent care of the harvested meat.  Thanks for sharing.

Vt2oKT.jpg

You know, I need to figure out how me and my wife and kids can go do this every couple of years.....

Sage, ya got the meat handling figured out.....We cut our own too. The deer coolers around here, ya drop it of and pick up later. You don't know what ya get, your deer or the gutshot deer that rode around a pickup for a couple hours, ungutted, marinating in its own bile!!!!

As to meat....here in Georgia, the deer are pretty well fed on acorns and corn and whatever else, but people tend to screw it up. My findings are the worst tasting meat comes from folks shooting ballistic tip 223 and 243's exploding the innards into a foul marinade. Then they don't gut and quarter the deer up quick enough, or they are gut shot and marinade in guts, or folks take Texas heart shots and marinade in guts. I shoot deer with 30-30's and 30-06's at modest velocities and let em bleed out. Shoot that critter and let it bleed out and get the dang guts out without damaging them, cut it all up and dry age a few days. If you kill anything and do not let the meat rest before the the rigormortis goes away, the meat will taste fowl.  Chickens and rabbits and turkeys too! 

Goats or deer,  not much fat so no need in aging to the lengths as beef. But that rigormortis needs to go away and the fat break down a bit, and all the blood out you can get out! And don't punch the guts! I dry age in airtight Magellan coolers 4-5 days, but I have let'em set 10 cause I could not get to them. Found no difference in taste whether 5 or 10 days. Then break the meat down, save bones for soup stock. 

Most folks throw the necks away here. Its a shame. We slow cook them and it is my wife's 2nd favorite part now, next to slow cooked shanks. I grew partial to bone in deer chops last season. This year I think I'll try smoking some! The one cut I can say that's real good right out of deer to eat soon after the kill is to butterfly open the heart, de-vein and slice. Fry in butter, salt and pepper. Right after you finish quartering up your kill, hits the spot for lunch or supper.

We just got home from a hunt in Wyoming's Unit 7.  I used my .243, two friends used .308s and one used a .264 WM.  All rifles made one shot kills at ranges from 167 to 253 yards.

We got nice bucks for the area and Olds Processing in Gillette did a good job on getting them processed, vacuum packed and frozen.

I don't do anything special to the meat, just cook it in lard or make chili, and Pronghorns make the best chili of all in my opinion.

Duffield

Archived