SASS Wire Forum

PT Boats

Subdeacon Joe

The boats in the PT 109 movie were actually modified USAF air/sea rescue boats! No operational PTs could be found.

In the first and last video they mention John Bulkeley. I met him when he was the Commanding Officer of U.S. Naval Station Clarksville Base. I was just a kid. that was around 1963 or 64. He was later Commander of Nav. Ships 08 (Salvage and survey) when I was in the Navy. I have his signature on a letter of commendation that he gave my father. I did not know that he was a MOH recipient until much later.

Totally off the OT topic. I wanted to comment on the Clarksville naval station in Tennessee. I was stationed at Clarksville Base in 76-77. I had no idea about the history of the place. It was a nuclear storage facility with tunnels and bunkers. There may have been "rumors" of the tunnels but we probably thought it was typical Army BS. 

When I was there I was in the  Air Cavalry: C troop 2nd of the 17th.

I WENT TO A TRACTOR SUPPLY STORE IN MELBOURNE AR.   THE OLD GUY BEHIND THE COUNTER HAD A BATTLE ENSIGN HANGING ON THE WALL.  WHEN ASKED ABOUT IT, HE REPLIED THAT IT CAME  OFF OF A PT BOAT THAT HE WAS ON IN THE PACIFIC.  HE ALSO SAID THAT HE HAD MISSED BEING PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES BY ONE NUMBER,  HE WAS ON PT 108, NOT 109.

Archived