SASS Wire Forum

Bison Buffalo

largo casey #19191

This is a new one on me.Whats the difference between a Bison & a Buffalo.Just saw this on Live PD.

Largo

The guy who named the American animal ”buffalo” , has never actually seen a buffalo but they sort of fit the description. The name stuck.

if he had met the Sioux and they did not kill him but told him Tatanka, we might be calling them tatanka.

He may be a bison but he was shot on a buffalo ranch.

8042DD21-0F04-4744-9B14-27B780FFE16C.jpeg

1FF3D43B-3C68-4B48-B863-910F86D617EF.jpeg

2 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

The guy who named the American animal ”buffalo” , has never actually seen a buffalo but they sort of fit the description. The name stuck.

if he had met the Sioux and they did not kill him but told him Tatanka, we might be calling them tatanka.

Washte, washichu!   Also, our native pronghorn antelope ain't no antelope, neither!  Pronghorns is a species of its own, and no relation to African antelope!  More like a prairie goat, but ain't no goat nuther!  But, of course, there is the jackalope! :rolleyes:  Whatever you call Ol' Grandfather Pte, it don't pay to get too close. Seems like a girl jogger was tossed by a bull buff a day or so ago out Utah way.  Broke her ankle when she landed and got a gash on her leg.  Originally, the bull was a ways away from her.  Had a bull ellick (ain't no elk neither...wapiti according to IIRC the Chipaway...go after a bunch of tourists up to Estes Park, Colorado the other day!  Them things run loose right in town and in the park along the lake.  Danged tourists git too close an' wonder why a bull elk gets feisty.  Gettin' near the rut, I reckon!   :excl:  Dang pilgrims!

When I was a boy, I watched on our TV "The Howdy Doody Show."  The host was Buffalo Bob.  Buffalo Bob had a brother by the name of Bison Bill.

So see?  I learned from the Howdy Doody Show that the buffalo and bison are brothers.  -_-

^_^

Buffalo, Missouri is about 40 miles north of Springfield.  The high school mascot is the bison,.  So, the athletes are the Buffalo Bisons.

I hope this helps.

:blink:

1 hour ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

Buffalo, Missouri is about 40 miles north of Springfield.  The high school mascot is the bison,.  So, the athletes are the Buffalo Bisons.

I hope this helps.

:blink:

Starting to sound like the government is involved ......

Q: What happens when 2 single buffalo meet up, fall in love and run away to get married?

A: they buffalope

Q: Why did the buffalo cross the road?

A: To prove to the possum that it could be done!

Q: What did mama buffalo say when her youngest went off to college?

A: "Bison!"

Apologies.  :rolleyes:  Been hangin' around the Cub Scouts too long....  ^_^

I’m sure the animal doesn’t care!  Especially when it’s on my fork!!

The term Bison is not new nor novel .  Carl Linnaeus knew what it was when he named it in 1758 and so did the luminaries of the day yet the term Buffalo became the nom de plume used by the vast majority of people.  Likewise, the term buffalo is firmly entrenched in American literature and lore until recently when its usage became intertwined in the race to revise nearly all US history.   We've known what it was for hundreds  of years for God's sake why have they seized the mantle of intellectual superiority and deemed it ignorant to call it buffalo?  I don't get confused when you use it and assume you mean Bison bison unless you mention Cape or African buffalo to distinguish from perhaps water buffalo.  I don't gripe about Prairie Dogs not really being dogs......I know that you are talking about a type of ground squirrel that lives in colonies and barks like a chihuahua in heat.  I don't call Prairie Chickens grouse even though thats what they are, who knows what to call Mountain Lion or really cares except maybe to define a geographical region.  I could go on on with other examples  but you get my griff in that we are fooling ourselves by appearing to be informed by exclusively using the scientific  term for an iconic animal we have long called buffalo.   Hell, I was a scientist/biologist in a former life and have the sheepskins to back it up but I'm not on a mission to erase 250 plus years of history based on semantics.  If  I were giving a lecture on grassland ecology to international audiences of course the correct terminology is in order.  However, within the confines of discourse here I'm not going look over my glasses and smirk as I correct you "Well, thats actually a Bison bison and not a buffalo you know!"

Rant over.....I must go oil  my bison firearms.

P.S.  The above diatribe is not directed toward anyone here in particular.  Y'all know who they are.

Mountain men back in the day called them "bufflers".

5 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Boooo

YEAH!!  And HISSSSSSS too!!

Archived