SASS Wire Forum

Colorado firearms law

Boulder Canyon Bob# 32052L

I know, I know ask the BATF, but they're closed for the weekend and I figured someone here would have the answers. I tried looking on their Website , but my mind glazed over at the myriad of info not related to what I'm looking for. Anyways, I plan on buying a long gun in Colorado from a Colorado resident and I'm a resident of SD. He says I need to go though an FFL and I can no problem, just would like to streamline the process. Anybody have experience with this? Here in SD you can buy long guns as a non resident no problem.

Thanks

It's changed in the last couple of years, if the seller wants to go thru a FFL on his end just go with it would be my thought.  Get the name and number of that FFL to see if he'll ship to an individual or not depending on state.

If you want to know specifics, get ahold of Phantom, he has a shop here in CO now and is likely up to date on the laws.

Grizz

1 hour ago, Grizzly Dave said:

It's changed in the last couple of years, if the seller wants to go thru a FFL on his end just go with it would be my thought.  Get the name and number of that FFL to see if he'll ship to an individual or not depending on state.

If you want to know specifics, get ahold of Phantom, he has a shop here in CO now and is likely up to date on the laws.

Grizz

Thanks

All transfers in colorado have had to go through a FFL since July 1 of 2013.   Easiest way is to have it mailed and do a transfer on your end at home.

Don’t quote me on this, but I think you can buy a long gun and not be a resident.  Happened last year in a high profile case with a woman who was from Florida who was infatuated with Columbine.  Caused all the schools in Denver to be closed for a day. 

Yeah, we're gonna shoot the Briggsdale match.

16 minutes ago, Sagebrush Burns, SASS # 14226 said:

If you are going to physically be in Colorado when you do the deal, any local dealer should be able to handle the transaction.

10 hours ago, Boulder Canyon Bob# 32052L said:

Yeah, we're gonna shoot the Briggsdale match.

Drop a msg to Kid Bucklin or Sixty Nine Cent Wizard. They will be able to help you with an FFL in the area. If you are going to their annual, there will be one on site.

State laws vary but federal law states that “face to face” transfers (between non-FFL holders) are legal only between residents of the same state.  Long guns or handguns.

Archived