SASS Wire Forum

Man’s Facebook post about traffic stop goes viral

Sedalia Dave

Link below is to a news story and not FB.

Man’s Facebook post about traffic stop goes viral

So, I’m driving to my office to turn in my weekly paperwork. A headlight is out. I see a Tucson Police Department squad vehicle turn around and follow me. I’m already preparing for the stop.

The lights go on and I pull over. The officer asks me how I’m doing, and then asks if I have any weapons.

“Yes, sir. I’m a concealed carry permit holder and my weapon is located on my right hip. My wallet is in my back-right pocket.”

The officer explains for his safety and mine, he needs to disarm me for the stop. I understand, and I unlock the vehicle. I explain that I’m running a 7TS ALS holster but from the angle, the second officer can’t unholster it. Lead officer asks me to step out, and I do so slowly. Officer relieves me of my Glock and compliments the X300U I’m running on it. He also sees my military ID and I tell him I’m with the National Guard.

Lead officer points out my registration card is out of date but he knows my registration is up to date. He goes back to run my license. I know he’s got me on at least two infractions. I’m thinking of how to pay them.

Officers return with my Glock in an evidence back, locked and cleared. “Because you were cool with us and didn’t give us grief, I’m just going to leave it at a verbal warning. Get that headlight fixed as soon as possible.”

I smile. “Thank you, sir.”

I’m a black man wearing a hoodie and strapped. According to certain social movements, I shouldn’t be alive right now because the police are allegedly out to kill minorities.

Maybe…just maybe…that notion is bunk.

Maybe if you treat police officers with respect, they will do the same to you.

Police officers are people, too. By far and large, most are good people and they’re not out to get you.

I’d like to thank those two officers and TPD in general for another professional contact.

We talk so much about the bad apples who shouldn’t be wearing a badge. I’d like to spread the word about an example of men who earned their badges and exemplify what that badge stands for.

4 minutes ago, Warden Callaway said:

Our youngest was a police officer in a smaller city in the Tucson area. He told of pulling people over for traffic violations.  When they admit having a firearm,  he just instructed them to leave it where it was. 

Different departments have different procedures.

6 minutes ago, Warden Callaway said:

And this was 20 or so years ago.  It may have been at the discretion of the officer.

That’s how it was with my department. I never took possession of a ccw holder’s weapon.

I had a stop where I was accidentally going way over the limit. I pulled over as soon as I saw the blue light, be fore he could stop and turn around. I told the officer that I looked down and said oh 541T I’m going too fast and tight then he saw me. I got a verbal warning. I think he couldn’t do a warning if he reported 70 in a 50 but he gave me a break because there was no chasing.

When I had my bike crash in 2017 I was carrying my S&W 442. I had it in my inside jacket pocket.

As soon as a Deputy arrived and was checking on me I informed him of the loaded gun and where it was. Of course I was lying on my back and I was busted up so I lifted my arm so he could retrieve the revolver. He thanked me for letting him know right away and told me the EMTs hate it when people carrying guns don’t say anything.  I thought it was funny he cared more about that than whether or not I had my CHL. He said they get real excited. 

He gave the gun to my wife when she arrived. 

We got stopped by mistake heading to a cowboy shoot. The mistake was that the CHP had a maximum enforcement set up on the freeway, and the spotter told the chase car that there was a blue SUV exceeding the speed limit. Turns out it was another SUV, and he wasn't going to stop us, but since I pulled over as soon as I saw the lights he decided to stop and explain.

When he walked up I had my wallet and reg ready and said Good morning officer I want to let you know I have firearms in the back. "Firearms?" say he? "Yessir, 3 rifles, 3 shotguns and 6 pistols and around 300 or so rounds."  Well, his eyes got sorta round, leaned back a bit. But then I could see his face relax as he took in our cowboy finery. "I've heard a little about this cowboy shooting thing, that where you're headed?" I explained where the range was and when we had our matches. A minute or so later he apologized for the delay and wished us a Good Day!

Why do they ask? I haven't been stopped too often over the years but I've never been asked if I have a gun in the car or on my person and I've never volunteered if I do. (I'm talking about simple infraction stops.)

Do some states require that? 

I had a conversation with a State Patrol veteran training trooper on the subject a few years back on a visit to the WSP academy. He said they stopped asking this many years before. It caused a lot more trouble than it was worth, with some young troopers shouting "gun, gun" and etc. now and then, or otherwise complicating matters.

He said that on reflection, they realized there was no point to it under such circumstances.

Archived